Project Vigil: D-Day June 2014--One small boy

doyler

At the risk of getting myself in trouble, my first reaction was different. As one who has raised my kids with history since day one, this bothers me a bit. It feels too much like Dad doing the Pinewood Derby car for the kid in Cub Scouts. This kid's decked out by Dad and it feels like a well choreographed "Selfie".

GlennWoreAShaefPatch

as much as i want to belive this, i just can't picture the kid doing this out of his own free will. I feel like his dad suggested it and the kid just did what his father wanted.
The message is beautiful, the plan was great, the execution of that plan was alright, but the morals behind it all feel rather low.

It is moving like I said earlier, but like you guys said,it doesn't seem very real that an 11 year old kid would do that, it just seems that the dad was over proud about the son.

-Dave

GlennWoreAShaefPatch

It is moving like I said earlier, but like you guys said,it doesn't seem very real that an 11 year old kid would do that, it just seems that the dad was over proud about the son.

-Dave

Not to mention how everything he typed sounded like he went back in time and had Edgar Allen Poe write it instead of telling it how it was

Garandomatic

Not sure what to think. At 11, I'd have gotten into the part at the cemetery, not sure if I would have been able properly say what would need said about D-Day casualties. I was passionately interested at the time, and read WWII history, but I'm not sure how scholarly I was at 11, I was a kid. I can see what you mean about it seeming like Dad's pulling the strings. I don't know. I was always a lot more low-key, but if they had the kind of reproduction gear they have today when I was a kid, nah, that's a moot point. My dad was a dairy farmer. A few hundred for a reproduction outfit would be as unlikely as us going to France! Our vacations were always less than 6 hours long, we always had to get home for the milking. I wouldn't trade it for the whole damn world.

I think it's a great story and refreshing that a youngster would be that interested and motivated to do what he did. On the other hand, it does have that orchestrated feeling to it. The whole episode seems choreographed, despite what the dad says.

But maybe some of us are wrong and it was a genuine and spontaneous display of real emotion.

• 6 months later...

That is a great video, gave me goosebumps. I think even if his dad pushed him to do it, it still takes a lot for an 11 year old boy to stand at attention for an hour and a half. Lets hope there was the right intent behind this for the sake and memory of the kids that gave up their lives to take that beach. I have stood on Omaha Beach and I was a little overcome with emotion so its hard to say what other people are feeling.

Kyle