Can anyone read Korean? Written on a S. Korean Flag bring back

ocsfollowme

ocsfollowme

This was written in blue ink on the corner of a 2x3' South Korean Flag. Can anyone read it?

Thanks,

Steve

1019938_orig.jpg

Thats not Hangul. Unless it is so poorly written I can't figure it out. I can read fluent Korean but I can't even make sense of it.

Mike

ocsfollowme

Yes, I just had a friend try to translate it and he said that he couldnt. Too poor of a cursive. So text lost to history.

Lesson to us all...write legibly so that people 60 years can make out what you said...so they can sell our things!

ocsfollowme

"Bulgogi w/ rice ... 17 won"

"Pork galbi ... 18 won"

"Cabbage kimchi ... 7 won"

"Radish kimchi ... 8 won"

Are these the possibilities of what it could mean? Anyone of the four?

ocsfollowme

My name is Dave Shearer. contact Thomas Kenny at the KOREAN WAR MUSEUM in Springfield IL. Office P# is 800-419-5053 and e-mail is [email protected] any problems contact me-Dave

Dave, in order to have it translated? I should contact them?

They have member of the 7th Div. that married Korean lady who is very nice. Tom may be able to show that to her or help you in some other way.

My Korean translator tells me the characters are Chinese and it appears to be someone's name.

The use of Chinese characters in Korea was and is very common. Family registers of Korean

peoples names and relatives are done in Chinese characters and Koreans needed to know how

to write their names in Chinese characters. Plus on the exterior walls by the doors prior to entering

into Korea home courtyards is normally a plaque with the family name written in Chinese characters.

If this is a Korean flag it is most likely the name of a Korean person who owned it written in Chinese

characters. It is very common for Koreans to own flags and they are posted on homes during

certain national holidays.

ATW