One of my American Field Service Groups

Croix de Guerre

Croix de Guerre

Hi, First time posting here. I've enjoyed looking at all the other groups I thought I might share one of mine.

These are a few photos of a two trunk group in my collection identified to a man who served as a volunteer ambulance driver in the American Field Service Section 69. He served through the spring/summer/fall of 1917 and then returned home to join the U.S. Army. He was assigned to the Motor Transport Corp and served out the majority of his time in Jacksonville, Fla and never made it back overseas, (hence the baby blue overseas stripe).

The group consisits of his AFS cotton uniform, converted US Army overcoat, french helmet, shoes, french made leather leggings, sewing kit, eating utensils, coin purses, letters, photos, Wilson Sporting Goods sleeping mattress, ect. ect. All in his AFS footlocker.

The second trunk has all of his US Army gear; Officers campaign hat, visor cap, helmet, overcoat, Five diferent uniforms, leather leggings, puttees, Sam Browne belt, etc., etc.

I just thought you all might enjoy seeing this stuff. There were only around 2000 or so men who served in the AFS so as you can imagine this stuff is pretty hard to come by.

post-3356-1213795022.jpg

Croix de Guerre
Sir,OUTSTANDING ITEMS!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing these pictures of items from a unit seldom encountered.

RON

Your very welcome! Thanks for the compliment.

Croix de Guerre

The AFS rocker. This patch shows up on both the right and left arms and can be found as low as just above the elbow. Remember, these guys were volunteers and there were no "uniform regulations" per se. This uniform is known as a "camion" style to some AFS collectors (all ten of us!) as it is similar to uniforms worn by some of the late AFS volunteers who ended driving supply trucks for the French. (Some of these guys became members of the "Reserve Mallett").