Brigadier General Price's spoils...sort of.

mvmhm

I've started receiving some items from the family of Brigadier General William H. Price Jr, who graduated from the Citadel in 1937 (I think that was the year)...he later went on to serve in WWII, Korea and Vietnam eventually ending up in the Army Security Agency. Yet to come are his medals, General Officer flag, and a flag his wife made for him when he was in the Coastal Artillery in Panama at the beginning of World War II.

During his time at the Citadel, he became good friends with a German named Jurgen Billich...who (it's thought) went on to become a U-boat officer. He sent a postcard from Berlin, his photo postcard and a letter.....

Mark sends

post-3423-0-33739000-1407273601.jpg

post-3423-0-32013100-1407273611.jpg

Among the General's possessions were this Kriegsmarine breast eagle (has the pin, but missing the lower "prong)....maybe this was a gift of Jurgen's to him??

post-3423-0-78377000-1407273752.jpg

...and two daggers....the Kriegsmarine dagger is the real deal...the only flaw is a minor depression on the reverse of the scabbard (the "door crease")...the other is a souvenir FrankenLuft.....

post-3423-0-69079100-1407273817.jpg

A copy of Major Atwoods dagger book...there are book marks for the pages for the KM and 1st Pattern Luft, as well as for an NSKK dagger....maybe he had one of those and it will turn up?

post-3423-0-00205100-1407273875.jpg

post-3423-0-50323000-1407273881.jpg

...and finally, while stationed in Germany with the ASA, he became good friends with Karl Willi Lumpp, a Knight's Cross holder...here's a signed photo from him. I forgot to scan the back, which has his handwritten details (rank, date he earned the RK, etc.)....I can't wait to see what else his daughter digs out..if you go to the Arlington National Cemetery website you can read his extensive bio......

Mark sends

post-3423-0-21277900-1407274059.jpg

USCapturephotos

Hey Mark. What an interesting grouping. Keep the finds coming. I like the fact that you can just see the tank destruction strip on the KC holder.

Paul

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The Luftwaffe dagger seems to be a mix of first and second model pieces. Could be put together with left over parts? Navy dagger is nice for sure !