China 1900-1901 group to George C. Ott, Capt. Reilly’s 5th Arty.

kanemono

Here is a group of medals named to George C. Ott who served in the Spanish American War and in the Boxer Rebellion in China. Ott was a member Capt. Henry J. Reilly's Light Battery F of the U.S. 5th Artillery. The 5th artillery fought at Tientsin, Yangtsun and on August 15, Battery F of the U.S. 5th Artillery shattered the gates leading into the Inner City with several well-placed salvos, opening the way for the allied troops to occupy the center of Peking. Captain Reilly was killed by hostile enemy fire on August 15, 1900 during that engagement. Ott’s Army China medal is not numbered, however it is engraved “George C. Ott Light Battery F 5th Artillery Tientsin Yangtsun Pekin,” his Imperial Order of the Dragon medal is numbered 1022. There is also a Connecticut Spanish American War medal and a Military Order of the Serpent medal. Included with the group is Ott’s Artillery cap badge and a jeweler made China reunion medal made by H.W. Standish of Willimantic Conn. Standish was a production jeweler during the 1920’s. I tried to have Ott researched, however, his records seem to have been burned. I have two listings of Ott’s numbered 1022 IOD medal.

Dick

post-9487-0-39443900-1407273001.jpg

post-9487-0-32677500-1407273009.jpg

post-9487-0-32281400-1407273021.jpg

post-9487-0-46176800-1407273040.jpg

This is one outstanding group of medals. The 5th Light Artillery badge is an amazing piece of the jeweler's craft. I am also very impressed with the Imperial Order of the Dragon. It is a first rare and very scarce medal.

Thanks for sharing!

Allan

Kurt Barickman

Dick,

You have continually amazed me with your both vast and superb medal groupings! Another (words are not adequate here) grouping. Thanks for sharing and please keep posting.

Kurt

Thank you everyone for the great comments. I do like the pre-war China period. I have a question, this large "5" was with the group. I didn't put it in the photograph because I have no idea what the letter may have been used. It seems to be period. Should I include it with the group?

Thanks,

Dick

post-9487-0-03992800-1407335444.jpg

manayunkman

Crazy great stuff.

Would love to see more pictures of the Imperial Dragon.

The "5" looks period and I'm sure is affiliated with his artillery unit.

• 5 years later...

Dick the "5" may be associated with the saddle blanket. There is a photo with Lt McCloskey in Peking mounted with a 5 on his mounts saddle blanket. Size would be comparable

IMG_8457.JPG