Just in case you wanted your own Navy ship...

Dave

Wow, that is really cool. Somebody with deep pockets could really fix that up. Glad to see they did not chop it up.

Chris

Wow, I'd have assumed that DRMO would have cut her up. Glad to see it might go to a good home.

I'm not a sailor and there's zero seafaring tradition in my family anywhere, but I must admit a slight weak spot for Naval vessels. As a kid, my dream was to buy some larger ship like a minesweeper or something like that and have it hauled onto land, being placed in a hull-shaped hole in the ground. Much like what they did here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Hazard_(AM-240)

As I write this, I'm looking out the window of my office which faces Lake Michigan and instantly I want this vessel! I could then do a Naval assault on the coast of Michigan and force them to agree to my terms of surrender, which is, rename the lake to: Lake Wisconsin. Am I being a bit too wistful? :)

According to facebook, the Naval Academy Class of 1991 is raising funds to buy and restore the boat...

I dunno... For 30k I think I would at least want those nasty looking old mattresses cleaned - or destroyed by incineration!

Be a wicked cool thing to own tho, for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

As I write this, I'm looking out the window of my office which faces Lake Michigan and instantly I want this vessel! I could then do a Naval assault on the coast of Michigan and force them to agree to my terms of surrender, which is, rename the lake to: Lake Wisconsin. Am I being a bit too wistful? :)

I dunno, you might have some resistance by us Michiganders.