USN Early Shooting Medals

cutiger83

These are not mine but I have permission to post these. I had never seen these and thought they were breathtaking. The beauty in the medal and the engraving is just amazing. I asked for permission to start a thread to save these for reference.

As I said, I have never seen these before so I don't know much about them. If anyone would like to add pictures of theirs or talk about the history of these shooting medals, please feel free.

This first one is interesting to me because the dates of 1907, 1911, and 1912 are on the top bar. The dates of 1911 and 1912 are engraved on the front of the "expert" bar. The shooters name is on the back of the bars as well as the medal.

The construction of the bar with the 3 dates is very interesting.

They sure don't make them like this any more! :love:

Navy.jpg

Navy2.jpg

Navy3.jpg

Navy4.jpg

Navy5.jpg

Navy6.jpg

Navy7.jpg

This second one is just as interesting and beautiful to me.

It is interesting how it shows the top bar with only the one date. I assume the holes on either side can be punched out to add additional dates like the other medal. The engraving and patina is exquisite.

NavyB.jpg

NavyB2.jpg

NavyB3.jpg

navyB4.jpg

NavyB5.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

These are exquisite, this is as nice as I've seen posted here. These are scarce, esp when named, very very hard to find...

Thanks for responding! I thought they were beautiful too which is why I asked Robert (Tarbridge) for permission to post these pictures.

Thanks Robert! :)

...Kat

These were all issued named and are scarce due to the limited time they were issued.

The Officer's medals were engraved with the rank as well. Since these dont have the rank, they were issued to enlisted men.

I know the person who has Admiral Richard E. Byrd's shooting medal. It is a fabulous medal.

Kurt

These were all issued named and are scarce due to the limited time they were issued.

The Officer's medals were engraved with the rank as well. Since these dont have the rank, they were issued to enlisted men.

Thanks for the info on the medals. Very interesting.

...Kat

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another example to Midshipman (later Vice Admiral) Alva D. Bernhard. The "The Hayes Bros Co." maker's mark is just barely visible on the reverse of the top bar.

post-10651-0-53582700-1409027760.jpg

Also note that there are two different size targets. I don't know how this variation came about.

Eagle and anchors look different, too.

Hi Kat!

I've been meaning to stop into this thread, some beautiful examples are shown here. I'm always on the lookout for these, but so far have only landed this one, a USN Sharpshooter Medal to a Marine. Hopefully we'll see some others added here soon!

Best wishes to you!

Joe

post-48324-0-76873000-1409779214.jpg

post-48324-0-15202500-1409779224.jpg

post-48324-0-48414800-1409779232.jpg

Hi Kat!

I've been meaning to stop into this thread, some beautiful examples are shown here. I'm always on the lookout for these, but so far have only landed this one, a USN Sharpshooter Medal to a Marine. Hopefully we'll see some others added here soon!

Best wishes to you!

Joe

attachicon.gifpost-123-1342619926.jpg

attachicon.gifpost-123-1342619983.jpg

attachicon.gifpost-123-1342619915.jpg

:love:

Enough said

• 3 weeks later...

I came across the following documents in a USN enlisted man's personnel file. They show the "paper trail" on the issue of one of these badges in 1906. The first two are carbon copies, the first is to the man's C.O. and the latter appears to be the transmittal letter that came with the badge. (Unfortunately I don't know the current location of this badge.)

post-10651-0-02062500-1411402331.jpg

post-10651-0-37978200-1411402340.jpg

This is the letter from the C.O. that acknowledges receipt and delivery of the badge. These are the only documents of this type that I've ever come across in the hundreds of USN personnel files that I've examined.

post-10651-0-44470500-1411402459.jpg

Adam,

Great paper to a great shooting "pencil pusher." I find it quite interesting that this Chief Yeoman qualified for the award while aboard a Revenue Service ship. DO you suppose that medal might have been engraved to Chief Katzer as "USCG" or "USRS?" I've only ever seen a few of these badges with most being navy and only a couple being USMC. I have never seen one to a coastie or a revenuer.

Thanks for sharing!

Allan

Allan - "USRS" refers to US Receiving Ship (basically a floating barracks) rather than Revenue Ship, so there's no Revenue Cutter or USCG connection.

There are similar shooting medals for the Revenue Service but they are so rare that the only one I've ever seen is the one shown in "The Call of Duty".

• 4 weeks later...

As an interesting comparison, here is the pistol marksman badge of the Massachusetts Naval Militia which was also made by The Hayes Bros. Company.

post-10651-0-47094900-1413433642.jpg