Sign in to follow this  
Captainofthe7th

Are these wings good?

Do these wings look legit? I know little to nothing about wings but I'm interested in getting a pair of gunner's wings, as I'm good friends with flight engineer/top turret gunner.

gun112.jpg

gun111.jpg

Thanks a lot,

Rob

Exhausting & Dirty Work

Interested in buying identified or re-searchable Korean War uniforms, groupings, medals and more.

Not the highest quality wings, but they are ok IMHO. I think the crud on the back of the wing is some corrosion of the metal rather than casting flaws.

Patrick

Okay thanks. As long as they're original I'll get them. I don't have the budget yet for 50 dollar wings and I think these will look fine on a uniform. Until then I'm looking for cheap flea market deals to fill out my collection...

Rob

Exhausting & Dirty Work

Interested in buying identified or re-searchable Korean War uniforms, groupings, medals and more.

Nothing wrong with that, that is the way I built my collection!

BTW, these wings are likely from the ORBER company. Or at least from the company that bought ORBER dies after they went out of business.

I have the exact same wing but with the characteristic Orber hallmark that has been partially obliterated.

http://pfrost.bol.ucla.edu/images/gunner_orber.jpg

Do these wings look legit? I know little to nothing about wings but I'm interested in getting a pair of gunner's wings, as I'm good friends with flight engineer/top turret gunner.

Thanks a lot,

Rob

One of my old collector mentors (who happened to have been a B-24 flight engineer & top turrent gunner), once told me that no self-respecting flight engineer would have ever worn gunner wings. Those guys wore aircrew wings (like the radio operators did), and only men rated as Aerial Gunners wore the gunner wings. Late in the war the Flight Engineer wings came out, but that's a whole different story.

This is a bit old brown shoe corps lore from a guy who was there, so you can take it for what it's worth.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I THINK (99% sure) that the guy I know had gunner wings (regardless, I'm interested in them anyway). But when going through a book of insignia, he pointed them out and said they were his.

Rob

Exhausting & Dirty Work

One of my old collector mentors (who happened to have been a B-24 flight engineer & top turrent gunner), once told me that no self-respecting flight engineer would have ever worn gunner wings. Those guys wore aircrew wings (like the radio operators did), and only men rated as Aerial Gunners wore the gunner wings. Late in the war the Flight Engineer wings came out, but that's a whole different story.

This is a bit old brown shoe corps lore from a guy who was there, so you can take it for what it's worth.

There are some interesting stories to be heard on this subject. Many years ago, I used to be a regular lurker on the B24 forum. You could really see the differences from ETO, MTO and PTO based B-24 squadrons and their "culture". Some guys would talk about two different squadrons in the same GROUP having different ideas about things like painted A2s, squadron patches, and wings. One squadron may have all worn painted A2s with squadron patches, and their sister squadron may have not worn them at all. There was also a big difference between the "early" guys and the "later" guys adn what they liked to wear.

Also, I think the flight engineer wing came out in June of 1945, so it was likely only worn by guys stateside or in some of the later B29 squadrons going out to the Pacific. Although somewhere I have a nice photo grouping of an 8th AAF B24 top gunner/flight engineer in his post war uniform wearing a combat patch and 2 inch flight engineer wings.

Patrick

The bid went up on the wings and being the frugal lad I am I gave up...I'll lurk for another chance.

While in discussion about wing usage, I'm not sure what squadron this guy was in. His name his Joseph "Don" Lennerton (idk where the Don is from). He was pretty decorated, I think he got two bronze stars. He actually enlisted in 38 and flew secret missions over Turkey before the war started. He was a Sgt then. When he was a turret gunner on a B24 (I think a B24D) he was a M/Sgt and discharged as a 1st Sgt. He said he had SO many medals he never wore them. These included the 2 BSMs and also a BUNCH of air medals. He's an amazing guy. I only met him cause he lives in the room next to my grandmother at a nursing home and my Dad overheard him one day talking with another vet. They were arguing over whos plane was better, after almost 65 years!! w00t.gif

Rob

Exhausting & Dirty Work

They were arguing over whos plane was better, after almost 65 years!! w00t.gif

Rob

They must have been arguing about the B17 and the B24! The B24 guys always seem to feel that THEIR planes are under-appreciated and that the B17ers got all the credit, despite the fact that the B24 could carry more bombs and fly faster. The B17 guys like to point of that the B24 looked like the box that the B17 came in. I think it is a very old argument, soon to be lost forever as these fellows continue to die off. Sad.

P

The fellow I was refering to in my above post also told me about the on-going kidding about who had the best airplane... B-24 or B-17. My friend was in the 380th Bomb Group, 5th Air Force by the way. He once told me that as long as one B-17 guy was still alive and one B-24 guy was still alive, they would argue about who had the best airplane!

That different culture thing in different units rings true too. Looking at photos of different units in different areas of operation and different time periods all seem to indicate that things were done differently when it came to uniforms and especially markings on planes. These are the things that make the collecting and researching this stuff more interesting. Some Flight Engineers wouldn't be caught dead wearing Gunner wings, while others proudly wore them!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif