New York

Corpsman_1941

Hi!

My dad is going to NY for next week, so I have a question are there any historical militaria shops in New York City? If you know one please write here its WWW adress. Maybe I will Have some nice new stuff from US:).

Regards

James

• 2 weeks later...
JerseyDevil117

I have been to that one on 42nd st. It is mostly filled with chinese made junk. Nothing I could wear on my ACU'S. But they do have nice WW2 patches for cheap. But you have to really look for them.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I will be in New-York, in Washington and Baltimore in a few weeks, and I would like to know if there are a few military dealers in these towns please ? Any serious shop recommended ?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

shops, decent surplus stores, cool used book or antique stores,

or even anything else worth seeing, museums or monuments or something?

CNY Militaria

I live near there....there aren't a ton of places but here are the best. All have websites I believe if you do a search:

Syracuse Regional Market- Sundays at 7am. Very large flea market of antiques, tons of dealers. Great finds can be had there if you arrive early enough.

Chrissy's Antique Shop- Nearby to the Regional Market, there is a military collector with large booth there, with insignia, edged weapons, uniforms and misc. Very reasonable prices, and the guy is usually there to wheel and deal.

Syracuse Antiques Exchange- Also near the other two, VERY expensive and eclectic, but it might be worth burning an hour or so to look through their museum-like pricing. They usually have a lot of militaria.

If you are there between Aug 11-17, there is the Madison-Bouckville Antique Week about 30 min from Syracuse. One of the largest outdoor antique shows in the country with thousands of dealers overtaking an entire town.

Have fun,

Justin

• 6 months later...

Now this is when Kaufman's Army Navy Store would of had the stuff, Yessiree Bob

post-34986-0-16679700-1424838912.jpg

Kaufman's circa 1950s, can you imagine the stuff that was in there then!!! LOOK! I think I see an A-2 in the window, and the guy standing there seems to have one on too probably just bought it there, with old man Kaufman probably having a few dozen more on the racks :lol:

I almost got got upset with myself for forgetting the name of this place, so I did a Google search and wouldn't ya know it, a picture of the shop is featured on the Wikipedia page. Looks like "Search and Destroy" at 8th street/St. Marks place.

Now this place is very very strange and caters to the punk rock crowd..when I say strange I mean there are sex dolls hanging from the ceiling and many other questionable items..BUT..if you walk all the way to the back you can usually find a ton of ACUs, BDUs, and USMC dress blues. You really never know what will pop up. Don't say I didn't warn you though. You may want to stop at Mcsorleys and get a few pints of beer in you to prepare yourself.

post-104906-0-92440400-1424876789.jpg

I almost got got upset with myself for forgetting the name of this place, so I did a Google search and wouldn't ya know it, a picture of the shop is featured on the Wikipedia page. Looks like "Search and Destroy" at 8th street/St. Marks place.

Now this place is very very strange and caters to the punk rock crowd..when I say strange I mean there are sex dolls hanging from the ceiling and many other questionable items..BUT..if you walk all the way to the back you can usually find a ton of ACUs, BDUs, and USMC dress blues. You really never know what will pop up. Don't say I didn't warn you though. You may want to stop at Mcsorleys and get a few pints of beer in you to prepare yourself.

I,ve been in there, a number of years ago, like 07, Japanese run it. Picked up a size small Army-Navy Store type 60s poplin shirt (Arnoff I gather was the maker, as it had a washed out mesh tag under the collar) truncated sleeves, washed a few times but otherwise in mint condition with EGA USMC stencil, metal rank pins. And thats the only time I seen anything :lol:

I,ve been in there, a number of years ago, like 07, Japanese run it. Picked up a size small Army-Navy Store type 60s poplin shirt (Arnoff I gather was the maker, as it had a washed out mesh tag under the collar) truncated sleeves, washed a few times but otherwise in mint condition with EGA USMC stencil, metal rank pins. And thats the only time I seen anything :lol:

Man I'm glad someone knows what I'm talking about then. The smell of leather in there is overwhelming. I actually never picked anything up from there but it's still a fun area to walk around in the nice weather

Now this is when Kaufman's Army Navy Store would of had the stuff, Yessiree Bob

attachicon.gifKaufman's Cannons 1950s.jpg

Kaufman's circa 1950s, can you imagine the stuff that was in there then!!! LOOK! I think I see an A-2 in the window, and the guy standing there seems to have one on too probably just bought it there, with old man Kaufman probably having a few dozen more on the racks :lol:

Great photo! I started going there in the early 1960's, but rarely bought anything, as it was the "expensive" Army Navy Store. I mainly went because it was across from the bus station. They also had one other location in NYC. The cheap stores were down in lower Manhattan where rent was low (all long gone now.) I remember buying a pair of WW2 winged prop Tech Sgt chevrons at Kaufman's for 40 cents a pair in the late 60's. That was splurging for me, as patches at the other Army Navy stores were typically five for a quarter. Kaufman's sold WW2 Wehrmacht officer visor hats for $25 back in the 60's. That was well beyond my budget. I found out in later years that they were all repros.

I found several beogam shirts and pants at S&D. Kev, the maker of PX poplin shirt is Aaronoff.

That's the one, thanks, I knew it was a similar name, just couldn't recall it in full, a Russian Jewish name. Don't have any of the Aaronoff shirts in my collection that DON'T have this tag washed out, you know just like the OD HBT or Khaki shirts can be with their tags. Seen the unwashed tag with the makers name a few times on unissued/unpurchased poplins fatiques in the past that for some reason or another passed up, probably had no money when I seen them :lol:

Great photo! I started going there in the early 1960's, but rarely bought anything, as it was the "expensive" Army Navy Store. I mainly went because it was across from the bus station. They also had one other location in NYC. The cheap stores were down in lower Manhattan where rent was low (all long gone now.) I remember buying a pair of WW2 winged prop Tech Sgt chevrons at Kaufman's for 40 cents a pair in the late 60's. That was splurging for me, as patches at the other Army Navy stores were typically five for a quarter. Kaufman's sold WW2 Wehrmacht officer visor hats for $25 back in the 60's. That was well beyond my budget. I found out in later years that they were all repros.

Kurt your making me cry, Oh if I could only go back in time :lol:

That's the one, thanks, I knew it was a similar name, just couldn't recall it in full, a Russian Jewish name. Don't have any of the Aaronoff shirts in my collection that DON'T have this tag washed out, you know just like the OD HBT or Khaki shirts can be with their tags. Seen the unwashed tag with the makers name a few times on unissued/unpurchased poplins fatiques in the past that for some reason or another passed up, probably had no money when I seen them :lol:

And here's the unwashed label, here we see two side by side, normally only one tag is sewn into it. Spelled Aronoff actually.

post-34986-0-42431500-1425579968.jpg

• 1 year later...