Engraved Pilot Wing Major C.C. Moseley

blitz67

Found this wing today at a local sale, Moseley comes up on google search, but I can't find anything about Eckles, anyone ever heard of him. Moseley was a WWI pilot with one kill who also flew in air races and later started two pilot academies in California. . Thanks

Brad

post-683-0-96936000-1407107304.jpg

History Man

I believe that Mosley had these engraved to instructors or possibly to his students upon graduation. I have seen a few examples engraved in the same style, Bob had posted a pair in a group not too long ago engraved in a similar style.

Very nice pair of wings.

Philip

• 4 weeks later...

Searching through 1942 and 1943 Cal Aero Flight Academy Class books, I located a few images of Contract Flight Instructor G.E. Eckles to whom the above illustrated gilt C.F.I. wings were issued. Here's a bit more provenance for this nicely inscribed instructor's badge.

IMG_5700.JPG

Mr. Eckles kneeling with another Contract Flight Instructor. (Civilian Instructors were always addressed as "Mister.")

IMG_5704.JPG

This photo was copied from the Cal Aero Flight Academy "Slipstream" class book dated August, 1942.

Note how one of the Flight Instructors on this page is wearing his gilt wings on his visor.

IMG_5706.JPG

skypilot6670

Thanks for posting.The instructors earned their money.Those are PT 17 Steerman aircraft.PT is primary trainer.For a check airmen or flight instructor teaching tail wheel is exciting most of the time and scary some of the time.Those instructors earned those beautiful wings and cards by doing a difficult job , and doing it well.It is amazing that so much was accomplished.From Steermen to B17.Thanks again, Fraternally Mike