Wedgehead30

Weekend Auction & Flea Results

Had a good weekend while on the hunt. The first photo is from a local auction. I bought it all as one lot and I was one of two bidders. The other guy dropped quick so I don't think he knew what he was bidding on. The second photo of the PH Certificate was in the same auction. I honestly don't understand how these things get out of the family. The third photo of DUIs and whatnot are all Flea Market finds. It's almost criminal what I have into all of this.....This has honestly been one of my best weekends so far this year. To bad they're all not like this.

post-124172-0-97392600-1407102075.jpgpost-124172-0-86077400-1407102076.jpgpost-124172-0-71472200-1407102077.jpg

"The history of gunfighting fails to record a single fatality resulting from a quick noise...speed's fine, but accuracy is final." William (Bill) H. Jordan, 1965

North Coast Military Antiques

https://northcoastmilitaryantiques.com

"preserving history, one piece at a time"

Nice haul! I love the 15th Grouping. I've never been to a live auction, thats something I need to try.

Always looking for named items from Detroit area Vets!

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

Nice haul is the word !!! why doesnt this sort of thing happen here in the UK ??? :(

WANTED : RAF 1940 PATT FLYING BOOTS

WANTED : DINGHY TYPE K ,TYPE A

" ALWAYS WANTING USAAF ITEMS IN THEIR ORIGINAL PACKAGING "

"WOULD ALSO LIKE 487th FS AND 515TH BS RELATED ITEMS "

"Illegitmi non carborundum"

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Nice haul! I love the 15th Grouping. I've never been to a live auction, thats something I need to try.

Live auctions are awesome. There's nothing better than waiting for that 1 or 2 lots to come up on the block and then battling it out. As long as you set your limit and don't exceed it you can't go wrong. There's only two things I can't compete with on the auction floor. Hardcore collector money and stupid money. As long as there's neither of those on the floor, I usually leave with what I came for. Most times for insanely low prices too.

"The history of gunfighting fails to record a single fatality resulting from a quick noise...speed's fine, but accuracy is final." William (Bill) H. Jordan, 1965

I like the Purple Heart citation the most! Nice haul

donation2014.gif

Collecting Helmets (Especially WWI Painted and USMC) and anything and everything Marine Corps.
Looking hard for WW1 1/6 USMC items.

Great finds! Especially like that Caterpillar Club pin and group!

donation2011.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

postwar1.jpg

Great finds! Is the bronze star named?

-Dave

Collecting WWI 26th Division Machine Gun and Infantry related Helmets, Equipment, Groupings, Photos and Dog Tags!

donation2015.gif

Nice stuff! Yeah, that stupid money is hard to compete with. I keep thinking that a couple of bad bids will eventually have an effect on his wad of money he throws around. I've done very good at auctions and then there are times like lately that I walk away with nothing. I just groan, say that's it for me, and end up going again. lol

Nice finds! I love auctions too. On-sight auctions are especially fun because you get to go right to the house the stuff came out of. In June I picked up a M1777 Charleville musket barrel and trigger guard (with trigger) for $10! No one knew what it was, and in their eyes it was just a rusty hunk of iron. In my eyes, it was a piece of Revolutionary War history!

In memory of Lance Corporal Jeremy S. Lasher, 2nd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force. Killed in Action July 23, 2009, Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Semper Fi

Lance Corporal's 2/8 challenge coin was STOLEN from his grave. Please see the following forum link for details: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/210650-challenge-coin-stolen-from-marine-kia-grave/&do=findComment&comment=1654270

My eBay Auctions: http://shop.ebay.com...s/m.html?_dmd=1

Also... if anyone goes to live auctions (on sight or a gallery), stay for the entire thing. Don't just leave when you got what you came for. You would be surprised at the stuff that pops up that you didn't see - especially at the end. The longer the auction is, the less money people have toward the end. Keep that in mind.

In memory of Lance Corporal Jeremy S. Lasher, 2nd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force. Killed in Action July 23, 2009, Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Semper Fi

Lance Corporal's 2/8 challenge coin was STOLEN from his grave. Please see the following forum link for details: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/210650-challenge-coin-stolen-from-marine-kia-grave/&do=findComment&comment=1654270

My eBay Auctions: http://shop.ebay.com...s/m.html?_dmd=1

Here is an entry on the WW2 memorial page for the purple heart.

PRIVATE FIRST CLASS. SERVED IN D COMPANY, 2ND BATTALION, 29TH MARINES, 6TH MARINE DIVISION. HE WAS KILLED MAY 15, 1945 FIGHTING FOR SUGAR LOAF HILL DURING THE BATTLE OF OKINAWA. BURIED IN THE PUNCHBOWL CEMETERY IN HONOLULU, HAWAII.

from Akron Ohio area.

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2011.gif

Great finds! Is the bronze star named?

-Dave

Looks Like You Did Very Well at the auction, was the Air Medal Named?

No, unfortunately neither medal was named. Funny thing is I can't seem to give away named medals lately........ :unsure:

I'm late to this topic but can someone tell me, in the 3rd photo, what the triangular pins/crests

and matching patch might be?

Lynne

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great Stuff ------nice find------I like the wings & bullion patch a lot-----Blue Skies Mark

In Memory of Air Corps Technical Sergeant Carl F. Durfee. He died of wounds on 30 December 1944 while serving in the South Pacific. You are not forgotten.

ASMIC member

American Legion member

US Air Force & Air National Guard TAC - MAC

JOHN N. DANIELS ---152nd COMPANY C New York State Infantry--- captured 1864 survivor of Andersonville ---- Great-Great-Great Uncle

Captain Robert L. Hosler, 522nd Fighter/Bomber Sq. 12th Army Air Corp. World War Two P47 Pilot - 1 DFC- 5 Air Medal & 0ne Purple Heart---Uncle

1st Sgt Ann Barry, US Army Air Corp WAC World War Two --ETO --- Aunt

Sgt Willam M. Barry, USMC----Pacific World War Two--Father

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

Nice score! Most auctions that I go to seem to be spoiled by the usual dealer/collector crowd so really good deals don't often happen. Every once in a great while I will go to a smaller one and find something that wasn't included in the description so I get it cheap. Although out of principle, I don't attend auctions that have a Buyer's premium. That is one of the most ridiculous, extortive things going and I refuse to support it.

Kyle

325th_Crest.jpgAlways looking for any 82nd AB items!

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

What would the leather name tags be for? I've never seen them on any clothing - just loose. Nice haul by the way.

What would the leather name tags be for? I've never seen them on any clothing - just loose. Nice haul by the way.

The leather names tapes can go on about any type of jacket..leather or cloth.

Always Buying...Medals...Patches...Wings... Singles or Groups...Top Cash Paid!!!

My Website...http://www.purpleheartsnorthcarolina.com/

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Thanks for the info. I just don't recall ever seeing one of those leather tags on a piece of clothing.

I'm late to this topic but can someone tell me, in the 3rd photo, what the triangular pins/crests

and matching patch might be?

Lynne

Lynne,

It's the DUI for the U.S. ARMY 987th Field Artillery Battalion

The 987th Armd FA Bn was an Ohio National Guard unit. It's lineage is from the Ohio NG 135th FA Regiment, the 135th FA Regt in January 1942 was broken up, it's 2nd Battalion was redesignated as the 2nd Battalion 174th FA Regiment, in WWII like all Arty Regiments, they all were broken up, the 2nd Bn 174th FA Regt in short order becoming the 987th Field Artillery Battalion the following month in February, the unit then fought in the ETO as a Corps Arty unit from D+1 till V-E Day, in V Corps. After WWII it was inactivated, but was reactivated in 1947 in the OHNG as the 987th Armored Artillery Battalion, a non divisional unit under HQ OHNG. Federalized in August 1950 and sent to Korea.

These particular tags were intended for his leather flight jacket. I had several pictures of him wearing it and you could clearly see the tag.

Live auctions are awesome. There's nothing better than waiting for that 1 or 2 lots to come up on the block and then battling it out. As long as you set your limit and don't exceed it you can't go wrong. There's only two things I can't compete with on the auction floor. Hardcore collector money and stupid money. As long as there's neither of those on the floor, I usually leave with what I came for. Most times for insanely low prices too.

I'm a dealer and collector, and it's more fun than gambling, at least I come home with something. I've noticed over the last year or so that militaria is getting harder to get cheap, at least in my area. Other dealers who don't do militaria are buying it because it sells.

My best buys lately are uniforms, a lot of other military dealer buyers don't want them because "cloth is hard to sell". They didn't bother to notice the theater-made greatcoat or bullion patches. I bought an entire box of WW2 rations a couple years ago for $20, and I'm still selling what I have left.

I'd also add that the connections you make with other dealers or collectors is great...as long as you don't make bidding enemies.

Wanted: Any Vietnam Era Navy items from Mine Division 33/Mine Flotilla One

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.