Southern Italy

Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert

Planning a trip to Naples and then south to Sicily shortly...

Any militaria dealers in the region???

Thanks,

Johan

Corpsman_1941

I don't think so... I was in southern Italy few weeks ago, Naples isn't good place for shops like that, its quite dirty and poor city, I saw only military shops in Rome but there were shops modern Italian Army supply shops.

Giovanni R.

It's quite uncommon to see any militaria shops here in Italy, it would be much more easier to attend a show or similar but I don't think there are any in Sicily; in your case you may try to search in antiques shops (in italian "negozi di antiquariato" or "antiquari") if you found any and ask for military stuff. If you tell me more exactly when I when you should be there I may try to see if there is something interesting around.

Johan Willaert

Thanks, didnt see anything in Naples or the Amalfi Coast..

Im now near Cosenza, crossing to Sicily on Sunday...

Giovanni R.

Not really about shopping but I know that there is a really nice museum about the Husky operation in Catania

Hi Johan....I'm just 70km due south of Sicily on Gozo ( hot isn't it?!?) Believe it or not, even on such a tiny island I stumbled upon a junk shop and found a stencilled WW2 USN deck jacket! However...it was beyond redemption. It had doubtless been worn for many years as a work jacket...stained, patched, frayed etc., and sadly wasn't worth the €20 asking price, otherwise I would have bought it.

Corpsman_1941

I found in Italian antiqe shop Italian M33 helmet and FJ badge last year but it was in Siena in Tuscany

Johan Willaert

Not really about shopping but I know that there is a really nice museum about the Husky operation in Catania

Now this was a great tip... Visited the museum this morning and it was worth it!

Will post some pictures and a review when I get back home...