USAF Missile/ICBM/Cold War Patches

coli8344

Jay! Hope all is well. Of the 4 SAC badges in the group picture the one that stands out is the one on the lower right side. It shows a portion of the Olive branch in front of the lower cloud rather than behind it. This is rare, but rarer are the SAC uniform pins showing the Olive branch also positioned in front of the lower cloud. I've read about those in a SAC insignia publication years ago but have never seen one. If I can relocate the pub I will post it here as a reference. Carlos

Note: The SAC badge on the lower left of the picture with the light blue trim also shows the Olive Branch in the rare position but this one is a recent make, very recent. I have it in the group because the work put into was pretty good in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Update to my reunion jacket.

Eighth Air Force Missile Crew Member: This patch was worn by missileers assigned to Eighth Air Force missile units. The patch purportedly depicts a Titan II missile, and this is supported by the fact that the patch first showed up at the Titan wings (circa 1983). Although it's apparently a Titan patch, it is known to have been worn at Minuteman units in this NAF as well. The missile represents the NAF's ICBMs and the target above it symbolizes bull's-eye accuracy. These patches have been observed in bright yellow (illustrated) and also in a more attractive golden orange.2E The remaining colors are red white, and blue.(1)

351 SIWW - 100 Alerts: Formerly worn by crew members at Whiteman upon completion of 100 alert tours. The white patch features a green map of Missouri with a Minuteman II missile (white, outlined and detailed red) superimposed over it. The base name and unit designation, in re4 appear above and below. Although the "1.00 Alerts" tab may appear to be a separate emblem, it is integral to the basic patch (and also has red inscription on white background).(1)

(1) Source: A great Missileer, Greg Ogletree, USAF Maj, Retired, Association of Air Force Missileers. For informational purposes only.

Air Force Missile Patches:

Official & (Unofficial, 1954-Present)

By Gregory W. Ogletree, USAF Major, Retired

(Patches through 1997)

post-152401-0-14970200-1501174255.jpeg

post-152401-0-77940100-1501174263.jpeg

post-152401-0-12055600-1501174272.jpeg

Hey Lee! A gentleman that bought some missile items from me sent me the following pictures. I might be able to get better pictures. He entered his SAC Competition patch display in the American Society of Military Insignia Collectors national convention. It won Best of Show and you can see why.

post-152401-0-50034300-1501342423_thumb.jpeg

post-152401-0-56277400-1501342430_thumb.jpeg

post-152401-0-64830500-1501342437_thumb.jpeg

That's quite an impressive display. ASMIC ran photos of this display in an issue of the Trading Post after the convention. It was really good to see some USAF displays get a convention display award.

The additional photos are great. It just lets me know that I'm still missing so many SAC missile and competition patches from my collection. Thanks for sharing these pix.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another hard to find patch I came across and have added to the collection. It's a 351st SMW Whiteman AFB Deactivation/Mission Complete Patch. This was designed by Greg Ogletree, USAF MAJ Ret. which I have mentioned before on a few posts. Great guy, my understanding is he designed it when he saw that Whiteman hadn't designed one like some of the deactivated Titan bases had.

post-152401-0-17816000-1502480055.jpeg

Jay, I will keep an eye out for you. This one came from the U.K. and was incorrectly labeled as an RAF patch which is why I think it was not snapped up sooner. I wish there were other outlets to buy SAC related items other than ebay, but that has been my primary source with the rare trade. But that's fine. There is a Whiteman AFB Warchiefs patch that is even more rare. If I get permission from Greg to post I will, since his photo is the only one I have found.

Hi Guys

Here's a little display that I have been making for a time.Its a dedication to a Friend whom has helped me out in this field of SAC Missilemen badges and patchs and along with their duties.Not sure if you guys were aware but Carlos was a Missileman and was actually stationed at one point in time in silos.Thanks Carlos for all the help ,Jay

PS>All items pictured were all owned and or worn by him

post-564-0-49527100-1503115712_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

All -

Any idea what the "1" and "2" pins mean? Years of service as a missileer? I bought them along with the pictured missile badge and 374th SMS ascot from a forum member at a show.

Thanks in advance,

-Derek

post-5482-0-04580700-1512233198_thumb.jpg

These are qualification pins. We had to go through standardization/evaluations during our time in missiles. This involved a two part evaluation in the field at a launch control center (LCC) where we pulled our alerts and testing in a LCC simulator at the base where you were given launch scenarios in the simulator with your crew partner. A perfect 100% earned you a pin, called a HQ pin (Highly Qualified). The number of the pin represents the number of HQs the crewmember has earned. They were worn on their alert ascot. I was fortunate to have earned 5 but there are others who earned 10+ depending on how many stand/evals you went through and your time in missiles.

These 1 & 2s are hard to find because they were seldom kept or worn after your earned more HQ pins.

Here a picture of me wearing one of my first HQs (early 1980s). Great find! Carlos

post-152401-0-42917100-1512262943.jpeg

Thanks Carlos for the information. That is good to know. Great photos too by the way!

Here is a shot of the display I put together with the 374th SMS ascot. I added the SAC patch and also the 374th squadron patch myself. As soon as I can track down a 308th wing patch I'm going to add it to the upper left corner of the display. Finding a real 308th wing patch has been harder than I thought unfortunately :( But I will find one to complete this display someday!

-Derek

post-5482-0-40490400-1512305932_thumb.jpg

Derek

Here's a 308th from my collection,Jay

attachicon.gifDSCN3397.JPG

Hi Jay,

Any chance you'd let that one go? I have other missile patches to offer in trade... Shoot me a PM if you are willing and able!

Thanks,

-Derek