USAF Missile/ICBM/Cold War Patches

coli8344

The last picture is an update of my missile badges. Some look exactly the same but all are actually different-some are pinbacks others have clutches. The larger pins are all sterling made by different vendors. The mini's some are 1/20 SF and some are sterling. The tiny pins I just found unique.

SAC is something not many are familiar with but SAC related items are very collectible. Some patches were only around for a very short period as the "initial" Cold War came to a close and were were ordered to remove any references to "Strategic" on our patches. The 509th Strategic Missile Squadron pictures you'll see an example of a 509th Strategic Missile Squadron patch and a 509th Missile Squadron patch. The same was done for the 508th and 510th but I'm still hunting for an MS patch for each of those.

The Cold War period was and is a big part of history so if you come across something, do some research and it may be worth it.

If you have any pictures to share please feel free to post. I'm hoping it will help expand the interest in this area.

Take care, Carlos

post-152401-0-58230400-1429823205.jpg

Your collection of "pocket rockets", is really eye catching. Altho my connection with SAC was in a Bombardment Wing, I still like the ICBM related items.

Such an absolutely cool part of the Air Force.

And to think that the Air Force once considered obsoleting the pocket rocket in favor of an occupational badge worn above ribbons.

Don't forget to look for the newer badges with the operational designator wreath and look for a sterling lapel pin of a Titan IIIC with the numeral 25, recognizing the Air Force's 25th Anniversary.

I had one once, but gave it to the individual who really deserved it, a former captain who once was a Titan launch officer..

Regarding the pin, no I never took a photo of it. I didn't even realize what it was until I gave it to the missile launch officer in question. He told me and was grateful to receive it.

Just keep your eye out for all sterling silver lapel pins featuring the Titan IIIC missile and the number "25." There is also a tiny lapel pin of the pocket rocket that I've seen some former launch officers prize.

This former launch officer is an interesting fellow and quite the military historian in his own right. He entered the Air Force to be a pilot and then self-eliminated himself after soloing a T-38 because there were physiological issues and the cockpit arrangement injured his knees -- enough that he receives VA disability for it. He was re-classified and trained as a missile launch officer. He actually completed medical school while standing alert duty and opened his practice after finishing his tour in SAC as a captain.

Missile guys are just as much into their missiles as pilots are about their planes.

To get him to talk about that experience exposes a lot of things that only SAC personnel would know as the U.S. faced the various international tensions and incidents during that part of the Cold War -- especially the number of times we really came close to nuclear exchanges.

Back in the 80's we were on alert and the topside LCF crew was watching the Movie "The Day After", they had so many questions when we got topside, none of which we could answer,trust me there are stories to tell.

And lastly, a couple of SAC special duty / recognition tabs. The SAC BAND tab is self explanatory. The SAC CINC'S TEN was presented to the top ten Pistol Shooters and Rifle Marksman in SAC. I was fortunate to win this tab three times back in the early seventies. Enjoy

I love the SAC novelty patches ! One of the guys in my squadron had made a plaque with a big SAC decal on plywood and had inset a Pabst Blue Ribbon beer bottle into the mailed fist. Sure wish I had taken a photo of it. Seems like the First Sgt. or somebody up the chain of command didn't think it was so funny to have this emblem hanging in an Airman's room in the barracks, so it disappeared.

Here are some 351st SMW additions I just got. In the set of four patches there is one that is unique, the 351st Missile Maintenance Sq Patch. I had seen this one for years and wasn't interested because it wasn't crew related but when you look closely it is actually one of the few 351st patches with all three SMS squadron colors, red was the 508th SMS, blue the 509th, and green was the 510th... This got me in trouble because now I've started collecting the patches from the other 351st SMW services.

The 5 flight patches Alpha through Echo are very hard to find and I lucked out. These are all 5 missile flight patches for the 508th Strategic Missile Squadron. The Alpha flight patch is pretty neat in that the Eagle has the 508th SMS emblem on it's chest.

post-152401-0-69368400-1430509579.jpg

post-152401-0-73658500-1430509593.jpg

post-152401-0-87079800-1430509602.jpg

post-152401-0-20416900-1430509612.jpg

• 11 months later...

A few obsolete badges from my collection.

post-161992-0-87366000-1460658998.jpg

obsolete Air Force Missile badges

post-161992-0-48112100-1460659047.jpg

obsolete Air Force Space & Missile and EOD badges

post-161992-0-74903000-1460659097.jpg

Gunslinger those badges are awesome. Do your missile badges have any hallmark on the back?

Firefighter, I wish I had the morale patches Cookieman sent pictures of.

The original USAF missile badge (without the operators wreath) was officially made obsolete around 92-93. The first two badges were awarded by the Air Force Chief of staff on July 1958.

The operations designator version (with the wreath) was approved in 1986 but was not readily available or worn until 1988, AFR reg stating criteria for wear of the new badges was set in AFR 35-42, dated 30 November 1988.

Missile badges

Master S-23 (Susco?)

Senior/Basic M-22 (Meyers)

Space & Missile badges

all marked L-22 (Lordship)

EOD badges

all marked S-21 (Sugarman/Susco)

I have the same information as coli related to the Missile badge being phased out sometime around 1993.

Here's the Air Force Press Release related to the re-establishment of the Missile and Space/Missile badges you're interested

http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/123352/officials-bring-back-missile-badges-wings.aspx

Anyone travelling to Tucson should make a trip to the Titan Missile Museum located in La Sahuarita, an excellent example of Cold War history.

http://www.titanmissilemuseum.org

To my knowledge the EOD badge has been active since the 1950's and was never been phased out.

What about the EOD badge? Doesn't the USAF still use that design like the other services do?

Thanks for the info on the pocket rocket. I had heard that the badge without the wreath was still used by missile technicians while the design with the wreath was used only by launch control officers. As late as 2008, the Air Force Almanac still showed the old design as being in use. That annual publication no longer illustrates what badges are in use, so the 2008 issue is the last one that references the original design of the pocket rocket.

• 1 year later...

I was able to get the OD SAC IG patch today. I've had the color version for awhile and was lucky to find the other one recently. The SAC IG was an important part of the Strategic Air Command. All of us in missiles though remember our hearts skipping several beats when the IG suddenly landed at your base, no notice of course, to evaluate our preparedness. They kept us on our toes and considering the job, there was no room for error. Those were the good old days.

Carlos

post-152401-0-41776100-1499812650_thumb.jpeg

USAF/SAC Bullion patch collection: These were usually worn on jackets/blazers for reunions etc. I like the stitch work and the attention to detail on these. The lower left SAC patch is definitely a newer version.

post-152401-0-96110300-1499877962.jpg

post-152401-0-83084700-1499877982.jpg

post-152401-0-33054600-1499877996.jpg

post-152401-0-07188200-1499878009.jpg