Hidden Treasure

doyler

Saw this recently and would have passed it by if I hadnt stopped to speak to the seller.He didnt have it priced and seeing it was a common cap I thought I would ask.

He told me the price and then asked if I had seen the interior.I hadnt even picked it up.

Its named but not readable.

post-342-0-87916300-1407046709.jpg

post-342-0-83537300-1407046740.jpg

Seems this Sailor was a Boy Scout and believed to be Always Prepared......

Never can tell what will turn up when your not looking.

I always hear people complain about items not being priced and they wont ask.I always ask and Im glad I did.

post-342-0-00744500-1407047330.jpg

Seems this Sailor was a Boy Scout and believed to be Always Prepared......\

Considering the ratio of men to women in areas near WWII bases, he was also apparently a member of the Optimist Club.

I've found some cardboard stuffed into that spot on a flat hat, in order to stiffen it up. (Take that pun at your own discretion.)

Also, I bought an Ike jacket from the daughter of a vet, and when I got it home, I did the standard pocket check, and surprise! I found a similar piece of protective gear in the little waist pocket of the pants. I still see the daughter somewhat regularly, but I've never divulged to her just what I found in the pocket.

I still see the daughter somewhat regularly, but I've never divulged to her just what I found in the pocket.

That's probably for the best, because if he'd remembered that was in his pocket she might not be around.

I have found several over the years.First one in a cap though.

One was in the pocket of a ike to a Major who was a doctor and was in Third Army and occupation of Germany.

Bought several Saki cups once and some other smalls.In a match box there were a couple Japanese ones hidden away.

Garandomatic

I bought a grouping once, and as the daughter was dining things out of the footlocker, one fell out. I tried to kind of slide it under stuff to avoid the awkwardness, but about half a dozen came out a minute later! No hiding that!

Somewhat related -- I picked up a WWII USMC PFC green blouse once and found in a pocket a handwritten note which read: "She's not fat, she's pregnant, and I helped." Now that was one Marine who didn't use personal protection!!

Steve

• 5 weeks later...

After reading this posting I went and checked my flat hats (4). I found a love letter in 1. Thanks for sharing and finding something for me. Dave

After reading this posting I went and checked my flat hats (4). I found a love letter in 1. Thanks for sharing and finding something for me. Dave

Dave

Thats a cool find.