Question: AAF Airways Communication Systems SSI variation

ocsfollowme

ocsfollowme

This could be a stupid question, but are both the white border and blue border WW2? Some reason I thought that the white border was more post war--I could be very wrong.

I currently have a white border one on my quilt and picked up a blue border for a few dollars and was wondering if I should switch them.

$_12.JPG

$_57.JPG

I've wondered this as well. I do have a white border patch as well, bought it from a trusted dealer who told me it was Korean War era. Also, fyi, both patches pictured are upside down - antenna and lightening bolts go on top.

ocsfollowme

I've wondered this as well. I do have a white border patch as well, bought it from a trusted dealer who told me it was Korean War era. Also, fyi, both patches pictured are upside down - antenna and lightening bolts go on top.

Ha! I pulled the two photos off ebay to save time on the posting. It's how stein had them in his book!! Though he wasn't perfect. Then I checked my quilt, but I had them the right way. Phew.

I've searched for bomber jackets of ww2, but I've only seen blue border ones so far. And sometimes the much larger version too.

Still hoping an AAF guru will chime in.

ocsfollowme

I remember seeing a black pilot's a-2 jacket with the blue border felt version from WW2 on the internet. Most of the ones that I have seen from groupings have all been felt.

If anyone has an A-2 jacket with one on, please post.

Steve,

I thought they were all WWII patches. Here are my variations. I still need the one with the words "Servitio Dedicati" in a scroll at the bottom (Is this a post war version?).

post-151977-0-09739400-1407091283.jpg

ocsfollowme

HOF,

thanks for showing. This thread caused at least several people to buy up 3x AACS patches on ebay that I have been watching =) All were the felt versions with the blue borders.

I really want to find a photo of one being worn on a shirt. That will help me feel better about my FE white border one. Till then, I am going to keep my FE blue border.

I really like your large twill one!! That's a beauty.

Steve

doinworkinvans

I always took it as though all variations were correct. Thats what I go on. That field jacket is sweet.

ocsfollowme

Each of the patches has a different variation of morse code. Some are actually letters, while others are reversed or simply made up.

The top/center that HOF posted says "I.A.A.C.S.A" while others are gibberish.

morse_code.jpg