• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Today's antique show finds.

The monthly vintage market is taking place in town this weekend. Normally militaria is hard to come by there, but this week was a different story. One of the vendors had bought out an estate and had some reasonably priced gems on his table. Here's what $60 bought me...

#1. EM tan visor cap

post-105139-0-62801200-1407032323.jpg

This forum makes me jealous

You guys just walk down the street and BANG!...there is someone selling:

A rare WW2 uniform

A rare WW2 patch

A bazooka

A Sherman tank

Dog tags owned by a real hero

A heap of webbing, all WW2

Some other damn thing that no one has ever seen

An autographed Thompson signed by Eugene Sledge

All for the low, low price of $50-00 US

Does an USMF want to adopt me?

But that BAR ammunition belt is just amazing...

In fact, the finest I have ever seen

Why run when you can walk...Why walk when you can stand...Why stand when you can sit...Why sit when you can lie down..Why lie down when you can sleep...

Thanks guys.

I also picked up a mint three pocket grenade carrier, a wool WWII Army overseas cap, and two Speaker marked P38 can openers at the same show but didn't post photos. It was also tax free weekend in town so I was able to score a couple nice pairs of DCU pants at the surplus shop for less than $3 each. Not a bad weekend overall. :)

Nice stuff. I love the handbook with the handwritten notes. Veyr nice indeed.

donation2014.gif

I collect US Vietnam militaria

!St Cav militaria and generally anything that takes my fancy

I spent the evening building a light box for taking better photos and figured that I would snap some shots of the two P38's just for the heck of it. The nicer of the two has found a home in the inner tube band on one of my Vietnam era helmets.

post-105139-0-25208000-1407208410.jpg

Nice box! I will have to up my photography game now..

I am still trying to get everything set up on the homemade light box which is just a 6.0 cu ft carton lined with poster board and white tissue paper covered windows. The bulbs in my shop lights were burned out so I had to settle for using table lamps and the SB 600 speedlight flash on my Nikon. I was happy with the results on the P38 shot, but the white balance and lighting are off on the photos with the glass head. Unfortunately my flash batteries were toast before I was able to play with it any more. With a little more work on the settings, some brighter lights, and a tripod I think there are definitely improvements that can be made.

• 3 weeks later...

A rare WW2 uniform

A rare WW2 patch

A bazooka

A Sherman tank

Yeah, but those finds may come after months or even years of finding nothing at all. I can go for a long stretch of finding nothing, then suddenly stumbling along something cool.

And there's no promise that the seller will have priced it well, too. Seen plenty of cool items that I couldn't afford. I think we all have at one time or other.

Lee Bishop Formerly known as "Ratchet 5" with the 2nd Infantry Division (yes, in REAL life)

US WW2 War Correspondent collector

• 3 months later...

A rare WW2 uniform

A rare WW2 patch

A bazooka

A Sherman tank

But that BAR ammunition belt is just amazing...

In fact, the finest I have ever seen

This is so true! An autographed Thompson! :)

nice finds! -ray

Ray LeMere

In Memory of -

--------------------------------------

Dale LeMere (grandfather) pre-Vietnam US ARMY

Charles Spiller (great grandfather) WW1 US ARMY

Charlie Spiller (great uncle) WW2 PARATROOPER

#3. WWI unissued BAR belt

That's actually an M1918 gunner's belt that was modified in WWII by Avery to bring it up to match M1937 specs. The pistol mag pocket and the metal cup were removed from the right side and replaced with two mag pockets. These are actually a bit more uncommon than the normal belts.

That's actually an M1918 gunner's belt that was modified in WWII by Avery to bring it up to match M1937 specs. The pistol mag pocket and the metal cup were removed from the right side and replaced with two mag pockets. These are actually a bit more uncommon than the normal belts.

Thanks B229...I discovered that shortly after originally posting photos several months back. Your description of the update to M1937 specs by Avery is exactly what I had noted when I sold the belt on the CMP forums a couple months ago. I'm glad to hear that the info was correct.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.