Marine Iceland Polar Bear Patches

Brig

As an old thread reappeared about fakes and such of these, I figured I'd post a couple of pairs of Polar Bear patches that came to me in a small group from the widow of a 2/6 veteran who was in Iceland and then WIA on Guadalcanal...neither were cut or worn, not uncommon as these were offered for sale/traded for as souveneirs and sent home often

101_6244.JPG

Always a difficult USMC insignia to pin down as to vintage. Nice to see two different types right from the vet's widow. Thanks for sharing. Bob

• 11 months later...

Here are some examples from my stepdad's collection (cloth and metal):

post-157266-0-62189300-1436124023.jpg

post-157266-0-24020300-1436124040.jpg

mortaydc60

The Polar Bears on the top left in post #4 are a version I have never seen anywhere;very cool! Mort

It's generally accepted that the British patches had the heads of the bears up, and the Marines down, though I'm sure there was some cross over in that

firefighter

It's generally accepted that the British patches had the heads of the bears up, and the Marines down, though I'm sure there was some cross over in that

Thank you BRIG

mortaydc60

Brig the information you have is not correct. The original patch is for the British 49th div. The first version had the head down. Prime Minister Churchill did not like that look and felt it was too timid and wanted it to be more aggressive so the design was changed to the polar bear with the head upraised in a more fierce stance. The marines initailly wore the British patch given to them by the Brits as they left Iceland. To be sure over time they had US made versions of the patch but initially they were British made. Mort

• 1 year later...

Hello all, here are some new photos of my USMC / 49th WR Div Polar bears collection. Hope you like this, has taken

many years and $$ to put this together.

post-5556-0-76728000-1498345645_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Probably the best assortment of Polar Bears in a single private collection. Beauties! I've recently developed an increased interest in the Icelandic Marines