John Cooper

Attention collectors of avaition related items I have a forum suggestion

Gentleman & Ladies.

I would like to see all sections and threads related to U.S. Air Power consolidated and expanded into one section to co-locate the information and help bring together similar collecting tastes and maybe create or expand new ones.

IDEA: Create new section that covers the following:

1) Uniforms

2) Gear (flight or ground)

3) Wings and other insignia (includes reproductions, maker marks,)

4) Planes and related equipment

5) History - stories from vets – photos

6) ...

This would bring together all realted material and should cover up WW1 to Viet Nam or maybe later... i.e. all things related to U.S. Air.

I would like to know you thoughts so please post a reply to this thread to show you support and add you ideas!

Thanks

John

Always looking for Wings & Named Air Medals!

Motto: To Collect, Preserve, and Remember!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Hi John,

I honestly think this is a great idea. As I said before, there is enough traffic generated on subject of wings and related items, that I think it would be beneficiary to have separated forum section dedicated to the subject. You have my vote!

Best regards

Robert

donation2008.gif

I would love to see this happen thumbsup.gif

Paul Conrad
Still looking for quality wings!

www.conradwings.com
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif
donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

I am bored prefixing everything I say with "I think" or "in my opinion".
Everything I say is my opinion; the only thing of which I am certain is that there is very little of which one can be certain.

I think that the idea has merits and should be looked at by Admin.

Written contributor to French Militaria Magazine, UK World War II Re-enactors Magazine &The Karkee Web Research Team.

Remembering the service of:
9095 Pte Alfred Fredrick NEWLAND, 7th Field Ambulance, 2 Division, AIF. WIA 16/11/16 France.
436 Private Albert McCANN, B Company 8th Battalion AIF. Enlisted 26/8/14. Killed in Action 17/6/15 Gallipoli.
VX24056 Gunner George Edward McCANN, 2/3 Composite Anti Aircraft Regiment. Enlisted 7/6/40. Discharged 3/8/44. Served in Australia and New Guinea.

donation2016.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2008.gif

As an Air Corps Collector, I feel strongly supportive of this idea, and thats not saying that the army, marines, navy and maybe even coast guard couldnt have sections such as this also.

Brandon Sivek "God Bless Texas, and these United States"

In loving memory: Great Cousin 2nd Lt. Louis E. Machala, B-17 Pilot

2nd Air Force, 331st BG, 461st BS

Killed near Glenrock, WY on Feb. 25, 1943 during night time practice bombing

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR WW2 ARMY AIR FORCE FLIGHT GEAR

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

PROUD MEMBER OF THE COMMEMORATIVE AIR FORCE

PROUD MEMBER OF THE FELLOW WINGNUT ASSOCIATION,

WINGNUTS OF THE WORLD UNITE!

I agree. Good idea. I also support the idea of a USMC Forum.

Semper Fi....Bobgee

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif
"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (Message sent by 1st Lt. Clifton B. Cates. USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918 - later 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1948-1952)

I agree. Good idea. I also support the idea of a USMC Forum.

Semper Fi....Bobgee

Oh...I was waiting for someone to drop that grenade in this trench!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Actively seeking WW1 4th and 5th Brigade USMC helmets and also a named WW2 Raider green blouse.
I'd rather be a sparrow than a snail, if I could I surely would....

As stated this could possibly blow up in the trench... not only would there be those who would want a USMC sub-forum but, then there would be those who would want an Army(my choice) USN, USCG or Merchant Marine sub-forum. Of course for the ladies, we'd have to have WAC, WAVE, WOW etc... IMO, the current format works well.

Now that I've said that, I'm heading for the rear before the shells fly...

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Yeah, while I do think this would be cool, this would be a major overhaul now that I think about it. I guess if it aint broke, dont fix it huh? ;)

Brandon Sivek "God Bless Texas, and these United States"

In loving memory: Great Cousin 2nd Lt. Louis E. Machala, B-17 Pilot

2nd Air Force, 331st BG, 461st BS

Killed near Glenrock, WY on Feb. 25, 1943 during night time practice bombing

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR WW2 ARMY AIR FORCE FLIGHT GEAR

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

PROUD MEMBER OF THE COMMEMORATIVE AIR FORCE

PROUD MEMBER OF THE FELLOW WINGNUT ASSOCIATION,

WINGNUTS OF THE WORLD UNITE!

Yeah, these darn Marine Corps types keep clogging up the important and interesting wings discussions with silly threads about those pigeons sitting on a soccer ball and a grapling hook thingamigs...And lets not even start with those DUI guys. At least the airborne fellows seem to be over there lowering the property values in the patches and helmets forums. I mean REALLLY, jump wings? What is the big deal about a jump wing....an open door and gravity is all you really need for one of those!

And what is with all these "please" and "thank you" and polite discourse in this forum. What is fun about THAT? Cant we have some sneering contempt and unreasonable hostility towards each other, you know, to make it all interesting? I blame the moderators for keeping things respecful and civil, and thereby providing a forum rich in knowledge and good fellowship. Its almost a waste of time, I keep finding myself going over to the WAF forum and reading about SS badges and fleigergrupenkiserschmits or what ever just to get a good dose of bile and hatred.

Therefore, I would propose a subsections dedicated to spleen venting, libeleous slandering, and rumor mongering to keep things in line with more traditional internet fare.

Patrick

Yeah, these darn Marine Corps types keep clogging up the important and interesting wings discussions with silly threads about those pigeons sitting on a soccer ball and a grapling hook thingamigs...And lets not even start with those DUI guys. At least the airborne fellows seem to be over there lowering the property values in the patches and helmets forums. I mean REALLLY, jump wings? What is the big deal about a jump wing....an open door and gravity is all you really need for one of those!

And what is with all these "please" and "thank you" and polite discourse in this forum. What is fun about THAT? Cant we have some sneering contempt and unreasonable hostility towards each other, you know, to make it all interesting? I blame the moderators for keeping things respecful and civil, and thereby providing a forum rich in knowledge and good fellowship. Its almost a waste of time, I keep finding myself going over to the WAF forum and reading about SS badges and fleigergrupenkiserschmits or what ever just to get a good dose of bile and hatred.

Therefore, I would propose a subsections dedicated to spleen venting, libeleous slandering, and rumor mongering to keep things in line with more traditional internet fare.

Patrick

OK boys... lets get this thread back on track and keep the rhetoric for PM's. Thank you.

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)

...Therefore, I would propose a subsections dedicated to spleen venting, libeleous slandering, and rumor mongering to keep things in line with more traditional internet fare.

Patrick

I don't know if I should laugh or be worried about you? w00t.gif ...Oh, wait, that might be too friendly, let me try this mad.gif ...or possibly a good disgust.gif or how about a simple dunno.gif

I got to admit this is friendly territory and I really like the knowledge and friendships developed here.

Addendum: Sorry, I saw the reminder from teufelhunde.ret after I had already posted... so yes, let's stay on track

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."

I was kidding of course. Sadly, the double expresso had kicked in and unhinged my brain from my fingers--made me think I was being witty.

To be honest, I say keep the forum the same, it is a real blast and I learn something new everyday.

but those moderators...a tough crowd.

P

but those moderators...a tough crowd.

P

Thank you! we're just trying to enjoy ourselves and fellow members. When such rhetorical ad-libs and comments on service absurdity are inserted the thread becomes meaninglessness and insignificant. All, please keep on track. Semper Fi, Darrell

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)

Oh...I was waiting for someone to drop that grenade in this trench!

crying.gif I guess the follow-up comments suggest a big !NO WAY!!!!!!!!

:D Actually I was simply thinking about how this great U.S. Militaria Forum has grown and continues to grow. Partitioning all the interesting posts in a more navigable sub-set seemed like, well, a good idea! think.gif

However, I am a contented member and don't need no changes to keep me coming back!

salute.gif

Semper Fi.......Bobgee

"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (Message sent by 1st Lt. Clifton B. Cates. USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918 - later 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1948-1952)

I support the effort for a separate section on Air Corps/Force related collecting. I think it will increase traffic on this forum.

Thank you to everyone who has replied with their support. Please PM others whom you know on the forum that collect in this area and invite other collectors friends you know whom are not members to join in if they are interested.

To the comment about everyone wanting their own section... think of it this way.

This would be an organizational evolution that groups the related items together. This will create greater a depth and breadth of the specific area. (if this works then the model can be used for other sections i.e. everything USMC..!)

In my opinion this will greatly enhance the user experience and help build this forum into the best repository of information on the internet!

Kind Regards,

John

I think a seperate section on wings, and AAF specific insignia is a darned fine suggestion. I believe the proposal as written has an awful lot of overlap in sections that allready exist however.

Gary

"YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH RED WINE, TOO MANY BOOKS, OR TOO MUCH AMMUNITION."

Rudyard Kipling

I think a seperate section on wings, and AAF specific insignia is a darned fine suggestion. I believe the proposal as written has an awful lot of overlap in sections that allready exist however.

Gary

Gary - please make adjustment in the suggestions. As for overlap it depends on how you look at it i.e. half full or half empty. Although the items can be found in other sections they are spread out all over the place. Think consolidation and review my last post before this one.

Cheers

John

The different service branch forums subject has been discussed by the moderator/administrator team in the past. Please bear in mind that reconfiguring the forum into that type of presentation is actually not a quick and easy effort. The risk of losing threads and data does exist, please bear that in mind. The subject was discussed at great length previously and I am sure it will be reviewed again with the advent of this thread.

Actively seeking WW1 4th and 5th Brigade USMC helmets and also a named WW2 Raider green blouse.

Gents, bear in mind we do have a military aviation area that isn't just for aircraft images, etc.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...hp?showforum=57

This might prove a useful area for your discussions.

The different service branch forums subject has been discussed by the moderator/administrator team in the past. Please bear in mind that reconfiguring the forum into that type of presentation is actually not a quick and easy effort. The risk of losing threads and data does exist, please bear that in mind. The subject was discussed at great length previously and I am sure it will be reviewed again with the advent of this thread.

Jeremiah - there does seems to be lots of interest! A small point of clairification that this section would include all branches and time periods as long as it is Military Avaition.

John

100s of view and many posts.

I am not sure if this is going to be considered but can I ask that a PM be sent to me or a reply be made to the post so it just does not fade away.

Thanks

John