Vietnam, "Red Mike" A Troop, 1st Squadron, 9th Cavalry Regiment

DaddyDog

I just had a conversation with the lawyer who sold this grouping and now have a clearer understanding of what led up to the eviction and sell of the property. Essentially, many and repeated attempts were provided for the family to recover their property from a badly damaged and "hoarder filled" home. The items that made it to the auction were apparently not cared for and left for disposal.

The lawyer has kindly offered to send me all remaining military items from the home which include a photo album, from Vietnam timeline, in which there are photos of this soldier as a door gunner.

In light of this information I am having to re-think my course of action somewhat. The lawyer strongly feels if I returned the items they would simply be resold. I will continue to consider what should be done to preserve this group intact.

The site of the wound where the helmet was penetrated is shown in this photo. Note the scar tissue on the forehead. When the Vietnam photos are received I will post more.

post-6880-14096740638304.jpg

Generally, people are given quite a long length of time to vacate a property once an eviction notice is given. In fact, it can sometimes take 12+ months for an eviction to run its course. I know it's easy to slam down on a lawyer for forcing an eviction and liquidating the contents of a property via auction, but as may be the case here, there is often much more to the story.

Someone certainly COULD be locked out of their property for not paying the mortgage, but only after months and months of attempted contact by various parties involved (banks, local law enforcement, etc.).

I know of several people that clean out properties after an eviction, and you would be amazed by how disgusting they can be, and, in some rare cases, even more by the amazing items the former inhabitants choose to leave behind. I would certainly think twice before charitably giving it all back. Possibly consider selling it back at a fair price?

Back on topic, this is an absolutely fantastic grouping. You have done a great job getting all of the background information for this soldier, and I hope you can acquire more items to further complete the grouping. Very cool!

Daddy Dog, keep the grouping for yourself, in your collection. I am sure that you will be a way better guardian of the memory of CSM Newman that his family. My two cents...

I just had a conversation with the lawyer who sold this grouping and now have a clearer understanding of what led up to the eviction and sell of the property. Essentially, many and repeated attempts were provided for the family to recover their property from a badly damaged and "hoarder filled" home. The items that made it to the auction were apparently not cared for and left for disposal.

The lawyer has kindly offered to send me all remaining military items from the home which include a photo album, from Vietnam timeline, in which there are photos of this soldier as a door gunner.

In light of this information I am having to re-think my course of action somewhat. The lawyer strongly feels if I returned the items they would simply be resold. I will continue to consider what should be done to preserve this group intact.

I have to say I agree with the lawyer on this.

That little nagging voice you hear thats giving you doubts.Listen to it and keep the group.

This is far better off in your hands.If it had meant so much to the family it wouldnt have been left behinde and they also could have contacted the lawyer for the item in the first place.

• 1 month later...
TrenchfootJoe66

I would have to concur with others, keep it and you can be sure the CSM gets the credit and respect he deserves.

Every time I hear one of these "the family would like it back" stories, I get a little nervous. Good on you with the "due diligence".

I was nearly burned by the son of a vet who contacted me with a tear jerking story regarding the return of hid Dads stuff. Turns out he was the goon who sold it all in the first place.

A superb group by the way. Cant wait to see what else you can come up with.

Thanks. I have elected to keep the group for myself, at least until my research is completed. I am having a display cabinet made to house the collection. I did confirm by medical testing that blood remains are in the helmet, mostly in and under the padding. I hope to speak with a local museum curator to determine if any preservation issues are needed; however I have no plans to clean it and want to leave it as it is. My only other concern is for the Stetson prior to housing it on display, it is very dusty.

I am awaiting full record copies from archives; requested with signature from his wife. I am working on a duplicate shadow box display of ribbons and medals to give his wife along with select records she may have interest in.

I did receive many black and white photos from the lawyer but most were of gunships and weapons. A few were obviously during missions over Vietnam, firing on ground targets. One showed an unidentified 1st Cavalry door gunner and one showed four choppers with B Troop tactical markings. None had the Scorpion art work shown of A Troop. The family tells me they have photos in storage that would be of his Vietnam service. Perhaps I will get to see them someday.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got the display in a mirror backed display cabinet. Here are a few photos of the grouping. I apologize for the flash reflection.

post-6880-0-69135300-1413650455.jpg

post-6880-0-85193700-1413650477.jpg

• 2 months later...

Complete records have been received from NARA. Here is General Order Number 5528, 16 Sep 1967 for his Bronze Star Medal with "V" Device.

post-6880-0-18330100-1421374924.jpg

Medical records in my possession clearly indicate a bullet fragment from his head wound was never removed. It was noted several times in medical assessments through the years. Also, as clearly as I can understand the records, his Vietnam service periods were 1966/11/04 -1967/11/03 and 1969/03/04-1970/03/04. The 1969-1970 tour dates were with Troop D, 1st Squadron 4th Cavalry, 1st Infantry Division, again as an Aerial Weapons Platoon Sergeant. After each rotation in Vietnam he was a Senior Instructor at Fort Rucker. His basic training record shows Basic Airborne Training from 1962.

The earliest records I currently have show service dates of 1955-1958 and enlisting again in 1961.

DD,

Think your display is Superbly tasteful. Shows the honor you have for ALL VETS. Very happy to see that you hadn't had any fights retrieving information on the CSM. Glad your keeping the grouping as well. Tears me up when someone has put forth such a sacrifice of service, to only have those possessions sit around to be tossed in the trash. Think it's great to help put together a medal grouping for the family, but as others have stated they didn't care enough to preserve these and take it with them.

The effort you've showed us all shows character everyone should have!

Thanks for sharing your AWESOME collection and enjoy it.

Regards, Todd Stoney

Thanks everyone. The name of the person to whom this group is attributed is shown on the back of the Army Aviation Association of America medal in the center of the display. Here is a closer view of that award.

Here is the award letter. Curious that the letter states "...of the year award for 1969", but the award is engraved 1970.

post-6880-0-46123800-1421403470.jpg

Great group.

The letter looks know e something sent to him after he was made Aviator of the Year.Like an appreciation or commending him on his achievement(s)

DD: Several years ago, I learned that a Distinguished Service Cross that was awarded Posthumously to

MSG Jimmie Holloway, a member of 15th Field Artillery Bn during the Korean War, had been sold on eBay. I was never able to track the seller or the buyer down. Back in 2011 we [the 15th FA Association] was contacted by the US Marshalls Service. Someone posing as a family member had requested a reissue of MSG Holloway's engraved DSC, and his personnel records. The material was confiscated, and the Marshall Service was hesitant to give it to the family. They thought the original medal may have been sold by the family. Their hesitation was that if the family sold the original DSC, they may do the same with the re-issued medal. As the then historian of the 15th FA Association, I hooked up the Investigating Marshall with the Bn CO of 2-15th FA at Ft Drum. The Bn CO agreed to accept the DSC to display along with the Jimmie Holloway Memorial. It appears you have a lot of support here on the Forum with many of our brothers. If it were me, I would help the family request the Army reissue CSM Newman's medals. And I would maintain the display in his honor as you have already done. First Team ~ Sir! Danny

1SG_1st_Cav,

I am currently awaiting receipt of the reissued medals that I requested on behalf of his widow. She kindly signed all the necessary request forms and letters for me to obtain them. I have retained copies as well for my records should any questions arise. My goal remains to have them mounted for display and provided to her by the 25th anniversary of his death. I was informed in the letter from the archives that not all medals would be reissued, i.e.; foreign issued medals. NARA has already provided replacement award certificates. Although I have duplicates of the original issued medals, I plan to purchase what is needed to replicate the original display, with exception of the Soldier of the Year Award.

As was noted earlier the items were not cared for. Some of the original issued medals probably would not display well. I want to faithfully replicate the display, but some of the entries on his DD214 I don't understand. As an example, the reference to "4 Overseas Bars" and showing oak leaf clusters verses the numerals for the Air Medal.

I have uploaded a redacted copy here. David W.

post-6880-0-16465300-1421464698.jpg

• 1 month later...

Posting a few photos that were provided by the lawyer.

First is a photo of several tactical marked "B Troop 1st Squadron, 9th Cavalry" helicopters.

post-6880-0-38995600-1424662393.jpg