Vietnam, "Red Mike" A Troop, 1st Squadron, 9th Cavalry Regiment

DaddyDog

• 2 weeks later...

The 25th anniversary of the death of this soldier occurs on 20 March 2015. As a tribute and memorial to him I had this display built showing his medals and ribbons as confirmed by archive records.

The medals display will be mailed to the family tomorrow, along with copies of all records. This has been a gratifying research project. I wish I had more of his history to share, but it seems this thread has come to an end for me; with nothing further to post. Thanks to everyone for looking and contributing! DD

post-6880-0-50046900-1425429178.jpg

DD

The display turned out well

As for oak leafs that signifies additional awards,Bronze for each(single) additional award and a silver is worn in Lieu of 5 bronze oak leafs

Oak leafs are used/worn by the Army and Air Force on the medals and the Navy and USMC will wear numerals or gold pr solver star for addotional awards

• 1 month later...

Here is General Order Number 6211, 11 Oct 1967 for his Distinguished Flying Cross.

From his service record, it appears the head wound occurrred during the action that earned him the DFC.

His basic training record shows Basic Airborne Training from 1962.

Interesting that his assignment record reflects jump school but he was not wearing the basic parachutist badge in the photo from the NCO Academy you posted and it is not listed among his awards that I can see.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

50 Years Ago Today - Date of Action 19 August 1967

Remembering the service and actions on this date of Robert M. Newman.

SFC Robert M. Newman served with Troop A 1-9 Cavalry from November 1966 to November 1967 as a Platoon Sergeant and Door Gunner. SFC Newman was wounded on 19 August 1967 while serving as a door gunner on an armed UH-1B helicopter during a combat rescue mission near Duc Pho, Republic of Vietnam. The Distinguished Flying Cross and Purple Heart was awarded to SFC Newman for his actions during that mission in which he was wounded by ground fire, penetrating his flight helmet on the left side.

“For extraordinary heroism and gallantry while participating in aerial flight. Platoon Sergeant Newman distinguished himself by heroism in action on 19 August 1967, while serving as a door gunner on an armed UH-1B helicopter during a combat rescue mission near Duc Pho, Republic of Vietnam. Observing several wounded crewmembers of a downed helicopter who were under attack from a large North Vietnamese Army force, Sergeant Newman began delivering effective suppressive fire on the hostile positions. While making several low level passes over the area his aircraft came under heavy ground fire, but Sergeant Newman continued to direct his fire on the hostile positions and provided covering fire for an evacuation helicopter. When his aircraft was hit by the enemy ground fire, Sergeant Newman was wounded, but continued to place fire on the enemy positions. His action inflicted numerous casualties on the enemy force and enabled the medical evacuation helicopter to successfully extract the wounded crew members. Sergeant Newman’s display of personal bravery and devotion to duty is in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service, and reflects great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.”

post-6880-0-73320500-1503142615_thumb.jpg

post-6880-0-73397700-1503142712_thumb.jpg

Amazing grouping and a beautiful tribute to a real hero. t's awesome that you made the display for the family.I'm sure they will appreciate it for years to come.Thank you for sharing