Confederate Veteran with Southern Cross, 75th Gettysburg Medal

scottiques

I just purchased this photograph and a few others related to a Confederate Veteran (UCV). Based on his collar rank, he was a COL in the UCV,

On his chest is an engraved Southern Cross of Honor. It appears to be named on the top bar and further research may lead to the name. The first letter looks to be an "A" or "H".

post-124583-0-12634600-1406930130.jpgpost-124583-0-91308600-1406930186.jpg

Additionally, the veteran is photographed wearing a 75th Gettysburg Medal and I think that may help to pin down an ID. The photographs came out of Arkansas and cursory research shows about 10 AR Confederates that attended the 1938 Gettysburg Reunion.

post-124583-0-06930400-1406930147.jpgpost-124583-0-21304000-1406930167.jpg

Any thoughts or insight on the images is appreciated.

Scott

That's pretty cool. UCV stuff has really taken off in value over the last 15 years.

If the three stars on his collar indicate his former rank of General, that would narrow your search. Regards.

Wish it was!

I believe the UCV ranks followed the old Confederate ranks-- making him a full Colonel.

Scott

Well, that shows how much I know! If I would have read your original text instead of just looking at the photos I would have learned that. Neat photo for sure; good luck with the ID. (I have a UCV POLICE BADGE that I had no luck in researching so I know what you face. But that is the fun part and also frustrating when no results are found.)

Regards,

keith

Thanks kabar.

UCV is desirable-- from what I have seen at shows, values are off of the highs of a few years ago.

Scott

There should be a roster out there...8,750 Confederate veterans attended the 75th reunion.He could have been in any unit from any state is your problem.I will dig around. You have a tough job ahead...I wish you success.

That is so very cool. I'm absolutely fascinated by these pictures. We're so used to seeing pictures of our veterans from WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, and Desert Shield/Storm and the latest wars, that we take (or I should say I take) for granted these amazing shots of the veterans of our bloody civil war. Amazing, thanks for showing.

There should be a roster out there...8,750 Confederate veterans attended the 75th reunion.He could have been in any unit from any state is your problem.I will dig around. You have a tough job ahead...I wish you success.

You're thinking of the 50th Reunion.

Less than 2k total at the 75th, with less than 500 Confederates.

Also provenance suggests that he is from Arkansas-- narrowing the possibilities to about 10.

Scott

You're thinking of the 50th Reunion.

Less than 2k total at the 75th, with less than 500 Confederates.

Also provenance suggests that he is from Arkansas-- narrowing the possibilities to about 10.

Scott

Sorry my mistake...read the wrong thing...486 Confederate veterans did attend the 75th reunion.Your job is much easier if he did serve in a AR unit.If he was a CV officer, there will be records for the contingent from AR. The Confederate Veteran magazine could help you if locate the copies from that time. I do know a couple of people who sell programs that pertain to Confederate Veteran reunions and state reunions.If you would like the contact information...pm me...I will wish you success.

Sorry my mistake...read the wrong thing...486 Confederate veterans did attend the 75th reunion.Your job is much easier if he did serve in a AR unit.If he was a CV officer, there will be records for the contingent from AR. The Confederate Veteran magazine could help you if locate the copies from that time. I do know a couple of people who sell programs that pertain to Confederate Veteran reunions and state reunions.If you would like the contact information...pm me...I will wish you success.

Thanks much-- appreciate the offer and the encouragement.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple of additional images of the same Confederate Veteran:

post-124583-0-89026400-1407701361.jpg

Close up shows 75th Gettysburg Medal and a Delegate badge for the 1937 Jackson MS UCV Reunion:

post-124583-0-44138800-1407701376.jpg

Two CS Veterans:

post-124583-0-15258600-1407701347.jpg

Scott

scottiques