47th Coast Artillery Guidon ?

Wedgehead30

Wedgehead30

I unknowingly picked this up at an auction the other day. It was buried in the bottom of a flat. I'm thinking it's WW1 era but maybe later. It's kind of a guidon but not. The shape is right but the letters wouldn't be oriented properly. It's roughly 10" x 14", kind of small. So maybe it's a small banner or what..........?????????? :unsure:

post-124172-0-75229000-1406860019.jpgpost-124172-0-64494000-1406860020.jpg

Maybe a trumpet banner? I love it as I love Coast Artillery material. Nice find.

Seems right or maybe for a Flag Pole of some sort to hang outside an area.

unclegrumpy

Technically this is called a bugle tabard, which is basically a trumpet banner.

The 47th CA disbanded in 1919, and did not become active again until WW II. This tabard looks like it is from the WW II era from the construction. Tabards are scarce, and under appreciated.....and numbered Coast Artillery ones are seldom seen.

Below is a bit on the 47th CA:

47th Coast Artillery (155 mm Gun) Regiment

Constituted on the inactive list in the AUS 4-28-42. Btry G (SL) activated 5-10-42 at Ft. Worden and transferred 11-9-42 via Seattle to Ft. Greely, AK. Inactivated 1-30-43, its personnel reassigned to the 264th, 266th, and 267th CA Bns. Btry G was transferred (less personnel and equipment) to 47th CA at Cp. Pendleton, VA.

Regiment reactivated as a general service regiment at Cp. Pendleton, VA, 4-15-43, with a 182-man cadre from 50th CA Regt and assigned to Provisional CA Bde. On 12-19-43, 1st Bn transferred to Cp. Stoneman, CA, arriving 1-12-44. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Bns were all transferred to Hawaii, where 1st Bn was redesignated 32nd CA Bn; 2nd Bn was redesignated 33rd CA Bn; and 3rd Bn redesignated 38th CA Bn. On 1-12-44, Regimental HHB and Btry G were released from EDC and transferred to Cp. Pickett, VA, and inactivated. The regiment was disbanded 2-10-44.

Wedgehead30

Thanks for the info. I learn something new every day. I'll be listing it for sale once I figure out the value.

Thanks again,

Scott