ERDL & Woodland Camo Uniforms

Discussions in other posts got me to thinking about the diferences in the ERDL and Woodland pattern camouflage. Pictured below are examples of the 1st issue "Woodland" camouflage circa 1981 and the last issue ERDL circa 1975. This cloth is US Government contract cloth that I aquired in the 1980s. It is not civilian produced cloth.
Hope this help you reenactors.
BEAR

DEAD LINK 1/14/15

doinworkinvans

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last is a 1st issue Woodland pattern cover on a 1st issue Kevlar. Manufacturer dates have long been deemed unreadable, however, I can state with the utmost reliability that the issue date of both items was late 1983.
I was never issued a Woodland pattern M1 cover but I did observe National Guard and Reserve troops with those covers.
BEAR

DEAD LINK 1/14/15

doinworkinvans

Thanks a lot BEAR that shows everything. It is easy to see how the two maybe confused in pictures. Appreciate the education, that is worth a thousand words.

What do you need another one of those for.....you have 6 of them already ?.........

:blink:

my girlfriend to me on a regular basis as another piece of US WW2 "Green stuff" aka militaria arrives in the post..:-)

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

It is my understanding that the basic pattern of ERDL remained unchanged in the transition to woodland and was altered only by the expedient of making the patterns 1.6 times larger and altering the tones slightly to a generic woodland tone to eliminate the whole brown dominant /green dominant thing.

My understanding of the ERDL issue covers is that the USMC first designed them to match the ERDL jungle fatigues they were wearing at the end of US involement in Vietnam (1970-75). The Army began to mfg. and issue the covers about 1975. My first ERDL cover was purchased at Camp Pendleton Marine Base in 1975 because I couldn't get them through Army channels at that time but they started showing up around 1976.

Deros, you have the same understanding of the Woodland vs ERDL pattern that I have.

Interesting note: If you observe the Woodland pattern on my K-Pot you will notice that the colors and enlarged design is the same as the Woodland cloth .... except the black pattern is the same as the ERDL.

What does this mean? I don't know.

• 3 weeks later...

The label reads:

COAT, HOT WEATHER

CAMOUFLAGE PATTERN

CONTRACT NO. 6047-80

100% COTTON

DEFENSE PERSONNEL SUPPORT CENTER

instructions blahdyblaregularstuff

do not remove this label etc

My point is: I bought it for 35 euros off the internet without any photographs. It was described as a Vietnam war dated jungle camouflage coat, so I thought it was a regular ERDL jacket, and bought it without really thinking about it. My question is, what is this exactly? Have I been tricked into buying a regular 1980 dated Woodland jacket? What's this piece worth, how old is it? I'm not into stock numbers.

post-362-1169853704.jpg

sig3.jpg

That is the shirt that replaced the slant pocket version shortly after Vietnam. You will see lots of these in USMC pics from the mid to late 70's. The army used them too but the distribution wasn't for every GI.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY

The coat you have bought is standard camouflage utility uniform used mainly by USMC in late 70s and early 80s prior adoption woodland camouflage utilities. Due to very short time it was produced it is not widely known.

1) both jacket and pants has pocket design with divided panel

2) uniform was produced 1978-1982 (these dates I have confirmed by contracts) and used till late 80s until it was replaced by woodland utilities

3) it is common that this uniform is often wrongly claimed to be late Vietnam utility uniform with straight pockets due to fact that camouflage pattern is almost identical to late brown dominant ERDL pattern and also because early production pieces from 1978 were also made of original early green dominant ERDL pattern fabric originally used for production of Vietnam era ERDL uniforms

4) regarding value it may have value for USMC collector if the coat is USMC stenciled or for Army collector who collects early 80s equipment and uniforms of selected Army units (Rangers, Airborne, etc.), it had no common use with US Army, only USMC used this uniform as standard issue item for all marines. 35 Euros is slightly higher price just for coat, but it is nice condition

I have all variations of ERDL uniforms and this type of uniform and early woodland testing pattern coat and if I have time I post it here to see the development of camouflage and cut patterns of these uniforms

Mr. Jaroslav Jochman
3/6 Marines, King Co., Re-Enacted, 1943-1945;
USMC & USN REENACTORS ASSOCIATION
MARINE CORPS ASSOCIATION FOUNDATION MEMBER

donation2008.gif

The picture shows 3 ERDL jackets and 1 Woodland (BDU) jacket. The dates came off the data tag except the first jacket that has had all tags removed. I am assuming it is earlier than 1969 due to it's pattern (but I may be wrong). Notice the removal of the center bellows on the BDU pocket.
BEAR

DEAD LINK 1/14/15

doinworkinvans

These are three pair of trousers. The 70 Erdl has a zipper fly but the next 2 have button flys. Notice that the 80 Erdl pocket has a center bellows instead of the three tiered bellows of the earlier design. This center bellows was a terrible adaption since it would catch every protrusion a trooper would come in contact with and rip open the leg pocket. Many a Ranger and Paratrooper would catch those pocket bellows on aircraft seats while exiting and leave pocket contents strewn everywhere. The BDUs went back to the 3 tiered pocket bellows.
BEAR

DEAD LINK 1/14/15

doinworkinvans

I bought one of these straight pocket ERDL's in the early 90's in cash sales when I was in the Marines in K Bay Hawaii. It was in the used uniform bin. Accadently sold it to the surplus store with some old BDU's a while back but I picked anotherone up for two dollars at a thrift store around Christmas time.

Activly Selling All Items

All eras

VERY interested in M1 helmets, WWI victory medals, and I will do almost anything for real SOG gear or uniforms.

Email or PM with offers please.

Needing; Pin back CIB, two piece CIB, ANy odd CIB's, 41st Infantry Regiment DUI (old ones), 65th AFAB DUI

Please visit my website at DM1975.com

donation2007.gif

One of the unusual quirks of the ERDL manufacturers is the color shades and variations. This picture shows shade variations from two different manufacturers.

This picture shows (might be hard to see) the three different shade patterns on the same 1969 slant pocket jacket.

Unfortunatley, the straight pocket ERDLs were even worse for using different shade patterns. Some of my friends in the 2nd Ranger Bn. said they would use their two-tone uniforms for field use only.
The Army seemed to have solved the problem for the BDU Woodland.
BEAR

DEAD LINK 1/14/15

doinworkinvans

I was issued a mishmash of ERDL straight and Vietnam slash pocket cammies when I went through Parris Island in August of 1982. 3 sets of those, and one set of the "new" woodland cammies, which had what we Marines called the "Elvis" collars, they looked like they came off a Leisure suit!

I wore my straight pocket ERDL's until they almost literally fell apart..if you had those, you were 'salty' LOL.

One note on the Jungle ERDL's, the bottom hems were really poorly made, they would come apart after only moderate use, thus making the jacket 'unservicable'. The trousers on all of them were also flimsy as all hell, they would shred almost as soon as you got in the field.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

After having a double bypass this past year, it's time to downsize and pass along much of my 'stuff'. I've had my fun, now it is someone elses turn.

When I went through Parris Island in 1967 the "Old Corps" Marines were the WW2 vets. The officers pretty much had to conform to the uniform regs but senior NCO's often wore their herringbone twill "dungarees" and nobody dared tell some Gunny SGT who was a WW2 vet that he was out of uniform.

I bought a set of the ERDL camouflage "jungle" utilities" new in 1977 and still have the jacket although the bottom hem is gone. The trousers fell apart years ago.

Greg Robinson "marine-kabar"

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY**

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/106069-rip-greg-robinson/

1) early green dominant ERDL pattern coat with slant pockets

post-31-1169998363.jpg

2) brown dominant RDF pattern coat with straight pockets (color variation 1)

post-31-1169998707.jpg

Mr. Jaroslav Jochman

donation2008.gif

3) brown dominant RDF pattern coat with straight pockets (color variation 2)

post-31-1169998975.jpg

4) brown dominant RDF pattern coat with straight pockets (color variation 3)

post-31-1169998988.jpg

Mr. Jaroslav Jochman

donation2008.gif

5) rare experimental coat in with straight divided pockets in testing woodland pattern (same as RDF pattern coats but made of early woodland testing fabric)

post-31-1169999242.jpg

6) woodland pattern coat first pattern with wide "Elvis" collar

post-31-1169999253.jpg

Mr. Jaroslav Jochman

donation2008.gif

Local collectors around here call that variation "Beruit pattern". I just saw an example with a "USMC" stencil at the thrift store two days ago. I see the jackets frequently, the pants less frequently.

My uncle's good friend was a Ranger in the early 1980's, and he was issued this pattern along with Vietnam era ERDL boonies.

---Chris

Hi !

Here is another version of this post Vietnam jungle jacket with straight pleated pockets. This jacket belonged to my friend Doug who gave it to me in the early 90s.

Andrei

post-467-1170287693.jpg

"One law for them, another one for us !"

donation2017.gif

donation2016.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2007.gif

My uncle's good friend was a Ranger in the early 1980's, and he was issued this pattern along with Vietnam era ERDL boonies.

---Chris

RDF jacket used by Rangers in 1980s from my collection, note nice early type 1/75 ranger scroll with plain edge

post-31-1170531144.jpg

Mr. Jaroslav Jochman

donation2008.gif