ID help please

WorldWarPatches

ocsfollowme

I think the Liberty Belles was a USO group.

http://www.expressnews.com/life/life_columnists/paula_allen/article/In-1951-CYO-basketball-team-made-history-5629264.php

"Looking for Liberty Belles: Staff of the Fort Sam Houston Museum are seeking photographs, memorabilia and reminiscences related to the Liberty Belles, a USO-sponsored morale-building organization of young women during World War II.

Covered in this column May 17, 2009, the local Alamo Brigade of the Belles reached a wartime high of about 300 members who served as hostesses at dances at Fort Sam Houston, the YMCA and other community events. Belles — unmarried women from high school age through the early 20s — danced with servicemen, served them punch and cookies, or put on musical performances for them.

The museum, which will reopen in November at a new Quadrangle location, is working on a display titled “Don't You Know There's a War Going On?” highlighting the contributions of San Antonio civilians to the war effort. To offer a loan of Liberty Belles photos or artifacts, please contact museum Director Jackie Davis or her assistant, Bill Manchester, at 210-221-1886."

WorldWarPatches

Yes I just got off the phone with FSH museum. That is a rare patch and will be on display soon. Was going to have Scotty auction it but it belongs in that museum.

WorldWarPatches

the Museum is sending me photos of the women wearing the patch and I will post them as soon as I get them. thank you for all your help steve

the 1939 patch, I believe is for the worlds fair in NYC in 1939

Right you are OCS, a first glance I said Holy Smokes, I thought the patch posted was the patch worn on the uniforms of the New York Baseball teams from the 1938 season, the Giants, Dodgers, and Yankees all wore it for promoting the upcoming Worlds Fair in NYC.

But as we see here it's not the same one, but never the less the one Worldwarpatches has is a collectable one to be sure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1939-WORLDS-FAIR-YANKEES-MAJOR-LEAGUE-BASEBALL-PATCH-/120844446089#ht_315wt_916

respectingthesacrifice

Still in need of IN on 1st Patch , gotta be Free French something

FFI means Forces Francaises de l'Interieur, French Forces of the Interior.

They were resistants to German occupation during WWII.

Now I am not sure it is a FFI patch as they usually have a cross of Lorraine.

WorldWarPatches

Thanks RTS, this was part of a collection. It is period material and construction. I'll contact one of my collectors in France and see if he knows for sure...I hate to put "I think " next to any patch.

ocsfollowme

I looked at the first patch again. I know for a fact that this was ID'd on this forum over a year ago. I searched and search but couldn't find it though. I remembered the yellow backing, and I have a handful of Free French patches in my collection which is how I remembered it was ID'd. I'm not sure it was free french though.

I'm not convinced on the FIF one. I've never seen an FFI patch with the letters out of order, nor with one of the F's reversed. But, of course, there were many units and patches could have been locally produced, so I guess it's possible, but I would guess not FFI.

respectingthesacrifice

I'm not convinced on the FIF one. I've never seen an FFI patch with the letters out of order, nor with one of the F's reversed. But, of course, there were many units and patches could have been locally produced, so I guess it's possible, but I would guess not FFI.

Agree with Quack, never seen a FIF neither...

• 6 years later...