Camillus question

collector

Is the knife in the ebay sale below one of those copies Camillus made in the 80s and 90s? Font looks different and shallower then the one Greg Robinson had.

Thanks,

David

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-USN-Mark-2-Fighting-Knife-Blade-Marked-USMC-Camillus-NY-w-Leather-Scabbard-/311019901882?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item486a3b13ba

Its a WWII model that has been painted/stained Black. The remakes didn't have that style of secondary grind that goes over the fuller. Looks reparked to me though.

The sheath looks like a stapled WWII production but those can be faked by a decent sheath maker.

When I see something on e-Bay that might possibly be questionable the first thing I look at is what other items the seller is offering and his feedback score. This particular seller has almost 1200 military related items currently for sale and over thirty thousand feedbacks.Maybe not a 100% guarantee but a pretty good indicator he has been around for awhile.Just my opinion folks;I don't know the seller or have any interest in the item.

Just saw one of the repros on Bayonet Points, thanks Gary.

The originals have a more 'graceful' blade shape.

You should also be aware that at least some of the Camillus reproductions where produced with a longer relief cut for the false edge. At that point you really have to rely on your knowledge of the markings used in the different periods.

Still-A-Marine

Given the blade, though WWII era, was reparkerized I am surprised the knife on eBay auction went for the price it did,. For me personally the value/collectibility really takes a hit when some feature of the knife and/or scabbard is non-original.

Tim

I just don't see where the blade has been reparkerized. Handle and scabbard can be darkened by black shoe dye, but look at the blade. Upper and lower edges show a really nice line of white. Blade finish has very little wear, and appears never to have been sharpened. I believe it's in original condition. But will try to compare it with some of my originals. SKIP

I just don't see where the blade has been reparkerized. Handle and scabbard can be darkened by black shoe dye, but look at the blade. Upper and lower edges show a really nice line of white. Blade finish has very little wear, and appears never to have been sharpened. I believe it's in original condition. But will try to compare it with some of my originals. SKIP

Original condition, but not WW2 vintage, or...?

David

It's definitely a WW2 era knife. I usually don't jump into discussions regarding the looks of color tones in finishes based only on pictures as sometimes what they look like in the photo isn't the same as the item when viewed first hand.

You should also be aware that at least some of the Camillus reproductions where produced with a longer relief cut for the false edge. At that point you really have to rely on your knowledge of the markings used in the different periods.

Sactroop, you raise a very good point.

I bought a MK2 reproduction several years ago to use as a comparison when looking at suspect blades...