Bring back MP-44 relic

mmerc20

This was the bring back STG-44 (actually marked MP-44) I was discussing in the firearms section. As far as I can tell it was brought home by a 78th infantry veteran but I have not been able to confirm. At present, it is not in my possession by the way.

The receiver was cut at some point into three sections (the family forgot to include the rear section in the photos for me). Of course the ongoing discussion is about the legality of it but I was just informed that the rear section of the receiver IS missing about 1/4 of material which might "help the cause" and make it ok to own.

Mike

post-3373-0-65766900-1406715384.jpg

post-3373-0-65575500-1406715395.jpg

doinworkinvans

I would think it would be OK to own - unless of course its all over the internet.

Cobrahistorian

Mike,

It's my understanding that it has to be torch cut, not saw cut in order to make it completely a non-gun. Each cut needs to displace 1/4" of material.
I'd confirm that, but that was my understanding when I got my Israeli Dror back in the late 90s.

Jon

USCapturephotos

Wow. Hope the deal works out. Would be a dream find for me. I have 6 or 7 original snapshots of GI's posing with captured Stg 44s. Thanks for sharing.

Paul

• 1 month later...

This is amazing. Don't let legality keep you from acquiring this piece. You can always safely De-mill the weapon when its in your possession, or have it registered. A lot of weapons come out of the wood work this way so don't get too worried.

This is amazing. Don't let legality keep you from acquiring this piece. You can always safely De-mill the weapon when its in your possession, or have it registered. A lot of weapons come out of the wood work this way so don't get too worried.

Be careful! I don't think it is possible to register it at this time, and if it is not considered demilled, it is illegal. But, it looks to me like it is demilled enough to qualify (But, I am not a lawyer). No new Class 3 registrations for civilian possession have been possible for nearly 20 years in the US.

You're right. With an MG, if it wasn't registered in the '68 amnesty, it's trouble. I do think torch cutting would make it kosher, but I would sure get somebody else's advice than mine! The feds don't have much of a sense of humor about this stuff.