garrison cap repair?

WW2JAKE

i have a 1970's McConnel airforce uniform that has been in the garage since about 1987 in a military duffle bag. anyways i pulled out multiple pairs of fatigues and a the service dress uniform now believe it or not the duffle bag and uniforms had very little damage and were still in beautiful condition with no stains, but im trying to get the service dress uniform to proper display condition. and the garrison cap has the cord on it kind of torn in places showing the inner white core. now other than this the rest of the uniform has little damage everything is still like new including leather. but does anyone know how or who can repair the blue cord correctly?
post-125364-0-56089200-1406671620.jpg

RustyCanteen

Short of seeking a moth eaten cap (with a good cord) and scavenging it for the cord I'm not sure how one would repair it.

Short of seeking a moth eaten cap (with a good cord) and scavenging it for the cord I'm not sure how one would repair it.

thats what i was thinking, but ive seen people repair army cords that go on the shoulder so i assume it could be done.

Assuming the cord is blue, I would suggest a little work with a blue magic marker to make the color of the white core the same as the rest. Yeah, it's heresy, but it works and will look a whole lot better.

G

Assuming the cord is blue, I would suggest a little work with a blue magic marker to make the color of the white core the same as the rest. Yeah, it's heresy, but it works and will look a whole lot better.

G

it is blue, enlisted garrison cap. and ive thought about that also but id describe the cord like paracord (it might basically be paracord im not sure) but if you know how paracord looks with the outer weave and the inner strands i think the effect would be thrown off if you were any closer tan 5 feet. and i dont want to make a display with a magic marker repaired cord anyway :P

Your best bet is to just look on ebay and buy another one: finding the correct cord (if that's even possible) and a skilled seamstress to replace it could cost a bundle and you'd have an old cap with new cord and that might not look too good.

well like before id probably just find a moth eaten one with a good cord. because it is infact my dads uniform i want to keep it as original as i can which is why i want to repair the cord instead of replace the cap or the cord