Japanese Map of Iwo Jima

Bigdogakabu

Bigdogakabu

Howdy Ya'll,

A number of years ago, I purchased a Japanese map of Iwo Jima picked up during the battle by a PFC Savage from 5th Engineer Battalion. I haven't seen but a couple of these on the internet but from what I have heard it is printed on some sort of rice paper I believe. It feels more like tissue paper to me, but nonethe less it is quite fragile.

I was wondering what should I be doing to preserve this? Currently I have it rolled up in a cardboard tube in a clear plastic sheet. Any suggestions?

Also any ideas on who the other 2 names on this may be? I can read PFC Savage easy enough But it looks like it says "Important to Harley(?) Please pass on" Norbert or Newbert ...Tried to look for those names in the History of the 5th Marine Division in WW2 but don't remember finding anything that matched...

Thank you in advance!

post-152996-0-88084700-1406606392.jpg

I recommend a museum quality archival frame. They have acid-free backings and glass, and the glass is UV resistant. I also recommend an acid-free mat between it and the glass to keep it off the glass a bit, in case of humidity. You can pick up a frame on any art supply/photo shop...just google archival frame. They can get a little pricey, but you get what you pay for. Comparison shop, look for a sale...I recently picked one up for 40% off on this site... http://www.dickblick.com/search/?q=archival+frame&x=0&y=0&sp_cs=UTF-8

Interesting. There is not really a lot of detail there, but it looks like they have divided the island into unit sectors, with the location of the command posts designated. It's a clue as to how the defenses were being organized.