Gilded brass with crown. Any idea what this is?

paul kennedy

This item came to me via the widow of a metal detector enthusiast. She didn't know where he found it, but said he dug in VA and PA.

post-153752-0-74124800-1406605594.jpg

post-153752-0-49299200-1406605621.jpg

post-153752-0-19169300-1406605644.jpg

The crown looks like a British Queen's crown, the plate looks about right for a cartidge box shoulder belt (but possibly a bit small). It's possible that the Queen's Own Regiment might have worn such a thing during the AWI or war of 1812, whether they served in North America I don't know. It is also possible this is Victorian and might come from a Canadian Regiment or a British Regiment, perhaps from the Riel's Rebellion era, when they were still wearing the cross belt equipment and using Snider-Enfields.

As Grant said, that is a queen's crown, and to me, it looks like the crown of Queen Victoria, so it dates to the years of her reigned from 1837 to 1901, so that is a pretty wide time period for this belt plate to have been manufactured and used. I'll be honest- it looks pretty cheaply made for a Victorian period military accoutrement, so it could be something from one of the colonies. It most definitely does NOT date back to the American Revolution or the War of 1812.

Allan