Flea Market Finds

Well done! Those are some great finds! A little bit of everything! Flea markets around here usually have yard sale leftovers & things that most people would never want to buy used!

WANTED: ITEMS & PARTS RELATING TO THE 1911 & 1911A1!!!

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

donation2018.gif

How does a Chemical Corps Officer earn two CIB's??? Just asking! Danny

Danny,

Prior service in the infantry, then when the man commissioned he received his commission he branched chemical. He would still be entitled to wear the CIBs he earned.

I've seen plenty of mustangs with CIB's from their enlisted time, only to be commissioned into a different branch.

Also, great finds. I second Ski on leaving the insignia on the tattered dress uniform. Some great finds, especially the dress uniform with the MACV patch, as well as the jungle jacket

"Remember Bataan, Never Forget"

Actively looking for U.S. Army Run/Swim/Walk For Your Life patches.

Treasurer, ASMIC

Area V VP, ASMIC

www.asmic.org

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif
donation2014.gif

Just to weigh in...the Major's uniform has a GCM, so obviously he was enlisted at some point...all that aside though, the custom insignia far outweighs any damage to the shoulder....which if it was on a mannequin, would be barely noticeable. The BDU with the foreign made tape might have been made in South Korea too...I've seen a few that way from guys who served in the RoK....you certainly don't see that much stuff at those prices here in Ohio....

Mark sends

Mark Conrad, MSgt, USAF (Ret)

"Poor is the nation that has no Heroes...shameful is the one having them that forgets."

The Miami Valley Military History Museum: http://www.mvmhm.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Miami-Valley-Military-History-Museum/111268115594349
Official Partner of the United States of America Vietnam War Commemoration: www.vietnamwar50th.com
Official Partner of the United States of America World War I Centennial: www.worldwar1centennial.org

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I too would agree the name tape on the woodland BDU is prob Korean made. As for the missing badge above the name tape, obvious choice would be foreign jump wings. They were allowed to be worn until the late 80's and then were told to be removed. A college buddy and fellow cadet had Canadian jump wings. I believe he just removed them and stitched them to underside of the pocket flap.

Some one is always pissed off about badges. Used to be (25 - 30 years ago..been awhile for me so with a grain of salt..) regs said you could only wear up to 4 badges. Typical example..one Class 1 (combat) OR, one Class 2 (expert), one Class 3 (aviation wings) then only two Class 4 (jump, air assault, pathfinder, etc.). There were those who pushed the envelope and put 3 Class 4's across the pocket flap. Combat badges always took precedent over Expert if earned. From what I saw, No self respecting Infantryman would wear both the CIB and EIB on their BDU's. I did see a 5th Group SF'er wearing a CIB and a CMB. But then again, what do you say to a snake eater..Uh..good job! :)

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I "primarily" collect Gulf War 1 patches. All branches (USA, USAF,USN, USMC & USCG) and ALL Countries..
US - Op.'s Desert Shield / Storm / Provide Comfort /Some Southern Watch - F-4G's Wild Weasels
UK - Op.'s Granby / Sabre / Warden
Canadian - Op. Desert Storm / Op. Friction
French - Daguet / Aconit
Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, South Korea, etc.
Looking for the oddities, including unfinished & flaws
I HAVE EXTRA's!! Will trade as well.

Danny,

Prior service in the infantry, then when the man commissioned he received his commission he branched chemical. He would still be entitled to wear the CIBs he earned.

I've seen plenty of mustangs with CIB's from their enlisted time, only to be commissioned into a different branch.

Also, great finds. I second Ski on leaving the insignia on the tattered dress uniform. Some great finds, especially the dress uniform with the MACV patch, as well as the jungle jacket

How does an infantryman or Chemical officer get a DFC?

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

911flag.jpg

ASMIC #1098

Some "leaders" in Vietnam got DFC's for doing something involved with air operations. Check Schwarzkopf's ribbon rack. He has a DFC and he was totally infantry.

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I "primarily" collect Gulf War 1 patches. All branches (USA, USAF,USN, USMC & USCG) and ALL Countries..
US - Op.'s Desert Shield / Storm / Provide Comfort /Some Southern Watch - F-4G's Wild Weasels
UK - Op.'s Granby / Sabre / Warden
Canadian - Op. Desert Storm / Op. Friction
French - Daguet / Aconit
Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, South Korea, etc.
Looking for the oddities, including unfinished & flaws
I HAVE EXTRA's!! Will trade as well.

Your unidentified badge is the USAF enlisted cyberspace support badge. The parachute qualification is USAF as well with that chrome finish.

Randy

I found this paratrooper wing and unidentified Air Force qualification badge together for 6 dollars. These were the only pieces of militaria on a table at the flea market so I felt them came together and were probably worn together at one time on an Air Force uniform. They have that shinny chrome look to them. I've been seeing a lot of this particular type of NS Meyer 9 over M clutch back paratrooper wing on eBay. I've always wondered who has been cranking them out as there have just been too many popping up on eBay. The finish is different but look as if they came from the same die. Now that I have come across this one I'm a little puzzled as if I had found this paratrooper wing by itself I would have thought it was possibly one of these copies I have been seeing on eBay.

MSgt USAF (Ret)

• 4 weeks later...

On the chemical officer with CIBs: Remember, before the establishment of the Vietnam Service Medal, service in Vietnam got you the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal. It was up to the individual soldier to decide if he/she wished to convert it to the VSM later. Some just did not go with the conversion and retained the AFEM. It is perfectly plausible uniform.

Just to weigh in...the Major's uniform has a GCM, so obviously he was enlisted at some point...all that aside though, the custom insignia far outweighs any damage to the shoulder....which if it was on a mannequin, would be barely noticeable. The BDU with the foreign made tape might have been made in South Korea too...I've seen a few that way from guys who served in the RoK....you certainly don't see that much stuff at those prices here in Ohio....

Mark sends

:lol: 100% correct Mark! One reason I struggle on getting some nice items!

WWII-KW
Uniforms, Insignia, SSIs, Badges, Medals, Ribbons

Your unidentified badge is the USAF enlisted cyberspace support badge. The parachute qualification is USAF as well with that chrome finish.

Randy

Not to split hairs, but does the chrome finish really signify an USAF parachutist badge?

Strike Hold!!

Chris

"Trooper, look at the Master Parachutist's Badge on my chest. Do I look like a tanker to you? Beat your boots."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I personally wouldn't touch it, but it is your uniform. Custom ribbons (without the Vietnam service ribbons) with a MACV patch with cut-edged rank/ overseas bars? Yeah, I wouldn't......

-Ski

I'm with SKI.Leave as is.I bet one of hie 3 AFEM's is for Vietnam.If you do remove I would put them in a nice riker mount.The Chemical officer's jacket is nice too.

911flag.jpg

ASMIC #1098

• 5 weeks later...

Not to split hairs, but does the chrome finish really signify an USAF parachutist badge?

Always thought the Army used oxidized or nickel finishes for their badges. The USAF went to chrome about 1990. Could be wrong about the army though since I was USAF, but can't remember seeing them wear chrome when I was in.

Randy

MSgt USAF (Ret)

Always thought the Army used oxidized or nickel finishes for their badges. The USAF went to chrome about 1990. Could be wrong about the army though since I was USAF, but can't remember seeing them wear chrome when I was in.

Randy

Chrome (usually referred to by the quasi-brand name of stay-bright or sta-brite) badges have been the fashion in the Army for quite some time now, probably at least 20 years. The oxidized style is still occasionally seen but uncommon.

Follow me on Facebook @zemkecollectables

• 3 weeks later...

I too would agree the name tape on the woodland BDU is prob Korean made. As for the missing badge above the name tape, obvious choice would be foreign jump wings. They were allowed to be worn until the late 80's and then were told to be removed. A college buddy and fellow cadet had Canadian jump wings. I believe he just removed them and stitched them to underside of the pocket flap.

Some one is always pissed off about badges. Used to be (25 - 30 years ago..been awhile for me so with a grain of salt..) regs said you could only wear up to 4 badges. Typical example..one Class 1 (combat) OR, one Class 2 (expert), one Class 3 (aviation wings) then only two Class 4 (jump, air assault, pathfinder, etc.). There were those who pushed the envelope and put 3 Class 4's across the pocket flap. Combat badges always took precedent over Expert if earned. From what I saw, No self respecting Infantryman would wear both the CIB and EIB on their BDU's. I did see a 5th Group SF'er wearing a CIB and a CMB. But then again, what do you say to a snake eater..Uh..good job! :)

While a young 2nd Lt at Ft Carson in the late 80's, most of the aid station and TMC PA's were ex Viet Nam era SF medics. Mine was a 3 tour SF guy, Wore his VN jump wings and his CIB and CMB on his BDUs. His fruit salad was impressive (cant remember everything on it, I should see him during the holidays this year) but after REFORGER one year, I put him in for a lowly AAM. He was so pleased with it that I had to ask him why? He had just had a new ribbon rack put together and thought the AAM was a giveaway so added it on and didn't want to spend another $50 to get a new one :D

Keith

image.gif.f2d406cffb835d15b3c262a90bb1a9fd.gifimage.gif.004c4c67309e57ec56b23e008111ad73.gifimage.gif.8d6f7b587dab88278c6c3b632475ce4e.gif

image.gif.3a0aeba5003ef8001047e8e1650fc5eb.gifimage.gif.b1d9e156adce3f7135f0274a3a91b25c.gif

image.gif.0bd9ff9725cdada0763b78ca1ec7e5a8.gifimage.gif.6d4697a458b4f77eab64416b78e2713d.gifimage.gif.786d802d1cfeaf3c37ee5df20e839243.gif

• 7 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.