Type plate/WW2 Ardennes

Ardennen1944

Ardennen1944

Dear forum members,

Who can help me with this please?

I picked this up a local flee market in the Ardennes. It was said it was found at a crash site from an American bomber near La Fosse, Belgium.

If the pic doesn't come thru, it says:

R3/LB

Serial No. 245687

Type No. D 3189/10

Than there are 30 spaces to emboss numbers

440 735

468 803

505 821

Thanks in advance for your help!

AN

plate fosse.pdf

ThompsonSavage

For Fosse, my records only show an unidentified German plane and two British heavies (Lancaster and Halifax). No US bombers.
As for its neighboring towns: Manhay had a P51 crash, Freyneux a P47D and Dochamps a B26B. I might help you more if you can get its exact crash site.

Ardennen1944

Thanks for your reply.

I have been Googling in the meanwhile and it appears it was a plate from a Lancaster bomber, so it probably is one from your heavies. The place is called Fosse or La Fosse and sometimes even Pifosse (near Manhay). Do you have more info?

ThompsonSavage

Lancaster I - LM261 from 207 squadron, coded EM-L, crashed at Fosse on September 12, 1944 after a raid on Darmstadt. Crewed by D. Cooke, E. Brian, J. Bingham, A. Davies, R. Gowan, J. Milne and W. Moxley. Crew buried at Leopoldsburg.

• 11 months later...

I am highly interested who you bought this piece from. We have been studying in this matter for two years, on behalf of the landowner and the site is kept secret. The landowner wants to build a monument on the crashsite, so we won't have all those seekers crawling around the place.
It is always been said that it was a B17. The parts we are finding look like it too.
@ ThompsonSavage: Could you tell me where you found the info that it was a lancaster?

Many thanks in advance.

Ah, thanks! I have contacted them once, like two years ago, , but they never responded back. You have solved a mystery for us. Many thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

It would also help to see the plate, sometimes US and British aircraft data plates for parts are set out in differently.

Cheers, John

Thanks for the photo, I am a forum that will probably know what aircraft it is from or at least say if it was a British or US made aircraft.

Cheers, John

• 2 weeks later...

Here you go...

100% certain it is from an RAF Lancaster.... mod 803 refers to the installation of long range tanks in the bomb bay.

Cheers,

- John

• 1 month later...

Thanks John!
We have found new evidence that this aircraft indeed was a Lancaster
My basement contains hundreds of parts of this plane. Next week we will search the area with a device wich can look real deep into the earth, hoping for some big(ger) pieces.