nazchapdwd

M1 found (in my closet!)...Correct assessment?

(Hopefully this is the correct place to post this)

I pulled out an M1 helmet/liner which I've had for years to try to determine a date for it. I had originally found it while working as a residential trash collector (garbage man). I dumped a can in the truck and there was this helmet along with some other TA-50. I assumed it was of more recent production as it resembled what I wore in Basic Training in the 1980s. As I researched it, I think I may have more than I though I did so would appreciate your help.

It's a swivel-bail, front-seam Schlueter so was definitely produced during the years of WW2, correct? The color seems darker than WW2 issue, though I'm no expert. What do you think? I assume these were continued to be used in subsequent years so were they re-painted? I understand there were just about 2 mil of the Schlueters produced, does this add much value, even if repainted?

The liner that I found with it seems to indicate a later use (if they were used together, which is likely unless the guy who threw it out was a collector). The liner is a Firestone with green webbing and A-shaped black washers (?) but does NOT have the eyelet on the front. Does the liner look like 1960s production?

post-121808-0-07445400-1406496767.jpg

post-121808-0-95946900-1406496768.jpg

post-121808-0-12418500-1406497178.jpg

Always looking for chaplain-related items!

See my stuff (and more) at The Chaplain Kit, an online chaplain history museum.

tck-logo-100-pix.jpg

It looks like it got some post war "cosmetics" the shell is a repaint and the chin straps were added post war as well.

-Dave

Collecting WWI 26th Division Machine Gun and Infantry related Helmets, Equipment, Groupings, Photos and Dog Tags!

donation2015.gif

schlueter helmet with post ww2 straps (not sure if its me but they look an odd color) with a korean war or early vietnam firestone liner

"America shall win the war. Therefore, I will work. I will save. I will sacrifice. I will endure. I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the whole issue of the struggle depended on me alone." -Martin A. Treptow Jake L.

NO ONE IN HISTORY HAS EVER CHOKED TO DEATH FROM SWALLOWING THEIR PRIDE.

Heaven help me, how I miss my friend

That liner looks like WWII to me specially the close up pics you can see the OD3 webbing color.

Huh??

The liner has OD #7 canvas webbing, and no front eye let which would make it post 1955.

Definitely not a WWII liner.

Huh??

The liner has OD #7 canvas webbing, and no front eye let which would make it post 1955.

Definitely not a WWII liner.

Ahh i didnt noticed the eyelet. The color on my monitor looks OD3. But if theres no eyelet no WWII.

I'm going to say korean war Era because I believe the firestone makers mark changed for the later liners of this style

"America shall win the war. Therefore, I will work. I will save. I will sacrifice. I will endure. I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the whole issue of the struggle depended on me alone." -Martin A. Treptow Jake L.

I'm going to say korean war Era because I believe the firestone makers mark changed for the later liners of this style

No, I'm afraid not. The armistice that ended the Korean War was signed in 1953, and as Justin already pointed out, that is a post-1955 liner with no insignia grommet in the front. That's why it's best to identify things by when they were adopted instead of trying to tie them to a war. The whole helmet set is a good 1960's example.

No, I'm afraid not. The armistice that ended the Korean War was signed in 1953, and as Justin already pointed out, that is a post-1955 liner with no insignia grommet in the front. That's why it's best to identify things by when they were adopted instead of trying to tie them to a war. The whole helmet set is a good 1960's example.

when i say korean war im referring 50's sorry about that, but i dont see it as a early 60's example still because i still think the style of mark changed but that may be the early "p-64" liner im thinking of but i know they changed in the 60's

when i say korean war im referring 50's sorry about that, but i dont see it as a early 60's example still because i still think the style of mark changed but that may be the early "p-64" liner im thinking of but i know they changed in the 60's

The mark style changed how? I have plenty of these late 1950's / early 60's Firestone liners are the marker mold stamp is still identical to the WWII examples.

Korean War "Era" liners are similar to WWII liners, they have the front eyelet, and they have HBT material webbing (OD #7), not heavy canvas.

The mark style changed how? I have plenty of these late 1950's / early 60's Firestone liners are the marker mold stamp is still identical to the WWII examples.

Korean War "Era" liners are similar to WWII liners, they have the front eyelet, and they have HBT material webbing (OD #7), not heavy canvas.

the F is the same but it changed to havin the F then + and then a number rather than the way you see it on this liner

their mark in the liners changed over time heres some examples

post-125364-0-14979900-1406518665.jpgpost-125364-0-38852100-1406518675.jpg

post-125364-0-11894100-1406518745.jpgpost-125364-0-97364100-1406518772.jpg0

So does the color of the helmet (repainted) indicate a re-issue for a particular period or era?

Always looking for chaplain-related items!

See my stuff (and more) at The Chaplain Kit, an online chaplain history museum.

tck-logo-100-pix.jpg