My jet age flight helmet collection

littlegto

I have seen several posts of fantastic flight helmet collections so I though I might share my collection of hard shell flight helmets. I have only been collecting since 2009 so my collection is small. I currently have 40 flight helmets in my collection.

post-150534-0-43391100-1406484848.jpg

Bluespicker

I like your collection and you have done quite well in a few years of collecting. Have to ask: the MONT ANG NCOA? What is your connection to them? The reason I ask: I was USAF 1973-77 stationed at Malmstrom AFB in Great Falls 24th NORAD. we were ground control for the 186th FIS Montana Air Guard.

I like your collection and you have done quite well in a few years of collecting. Have to ask: the MONT ANG NCOA? What is your connection to them? The reason I ask: I was USAF 1973-77 stationed at Malmstrom AFB in Great Falls 24th NORAD. we were ground control for the 186th FIS Montana Air Guard.

Thanks Bluespicker. I am nowhere near your collection (I have visited your website) but it is growing slowly. The Montana ANG helmet is a blue painted M1 helmet liner. I found it on eBay for stupid cheap so I snagged it. I liked it for the F-106 silhouettes which are done in reflective tape like the lettering.

Great collection. I noticed the helmet in your avatar and the framed helmet bag both have cobras on them. What's the story behind them?

Also, I really dig the Van Halen chopper helmet!

Bryant

Great collection! I've always liked aviation helmets, both soft and the later jet types. They do make most impressive displays!

Great collection. I noticed the helmet in your avatar and the framed helmet bag both have cobras on them. What's the story behind them?

Also, I really dig the Van Halen chopper helmet!

Bryant

The "Cobra" helmet belonged to one of the first AH-1J Sea Cobra pilots in the USMC. He wore this helmet in 1971. He was quite an artist having decorated both his helmet and his flight helmet bag. Along with the helmet I bought the custom painted flight helmet bag, an AH-1J manual, his checklist and a kneeboard - all named to him. The Cobras he painted on the helmet bag have faded so I had the custom case built to protect the remaining artwork. The patches were not on the bag, I simply put them inside the case with the bag. I should post photos of the entire grouping.

post-150534-0-86789800-1406491107.jpg

post-150534-0-90636100-1406491119.jpg

BlueBookGuy

A GREAT collection...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many years ago I also had a similar project - at least, one helmet for each and every variant and subvariant, but subsequently my preference for some full-sized pilots (as complete and perfect as possible) from various periods, accounted for my planned resources - at least, what I could devote to this very interest.

In this respect, now I do have no more than eight different jet-age helmets, one being worn by each pilot:

one Russian (MiG-25), one Italian (F-104G), six U.S.: F-86E, UH-1, RF-101, F-4B, F-14, F-16.

My compliments again - such a great quantity of nice helmets is a joy for eyes.

Greetings from Italy - Franco.