New Officer's EGA in the Nest

bobgee

Recently acquired this bird from EBay along with a small grouping of bronze U.S. Navy insignia of the type worn by Navy medical personnel attached to the Marines. I'm reading this as a 1904 pattern type but am puzzled by its construction. It has been a little crushed, on a helmet perhaps, exposing its base metal as brass? It is painted a pleasing bronze brown color and in all other respects conforms to the '04 pattern. It has no hallmarks of any kind. There is only a suggestion of who might have owned these insignia and the WWI era is strongly suggested but not confirmed. Could it be later? Have a look and feel free to post your observations and comments. I will post the Navy bronze ingignia in this thread later. Thanks.

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

Doc_EGA_400dpi_color.JPG

USMCDOC6_EGA_REV.jpg

Here are pics of 3 of the Bronze Navy insignia which came with this EGA. Any reference/opinions on vintage? Thanks.....Bobgee

USN_Brnz_Cap__OBV.JPG

USN_Med_Corps_Collar_Anchor_OBV.JPG

USN_Med_Corps_Collar_OBV.JPG

camelgreen44

Bob, Dont know anything about them, I know. what a useless answer ! But I do like them, Good Find ! Denny

Steve Brannan

I believe these insignia are for a Navy Doctor attached to a Marine unit. They look WWI to me but could be early WWII or a WWII insignia maker still using old dies.

teufelhunde.ret

Bob, I must say this grouping caught my eye the first time I saw it on ebay, for its unique grouping and the apparent history that come with it which I hope you will someday be able to confirm and share with the forum. Nonetheless its the EGA that caught my eye and holds my interests. A true 1904 pattern by unknown maker in brass with applied brown paint of the period. What is intriguing are two element of the emblem which are in part a throw back so to speak of the 1892 reg's. The first being the position of the anchor flukes touching of nearly touching as prescribed for emblems of the period. And secondly the us of "guilders metal No 14" a reference to the use of brass, which in and of itself is extremely uncommon in use on Officer's emblems. Again another link to the 1892 reg's. This one leaves me scratching my head... yet another EGA mystery to be unravled... solved? Thank you sharing with us this very unique Marine Doc's grouping.

Bob__s___Doc_EGA_1892_04.JPG

Thanks Darrell for your comments and posting that very interesting analysis. thumbsup.gif If it were not for the damage it is unlikely that we would be aware of a brass-base Officer's EGA emblem. I wonder if anyone on the Forum else is aware of the use of this metal and who might have manufacured it? All comments are sought and welcomed.

Semper Fi......Bobgee

Leatherneck72

Ahh, now we know who bought that beat up EGA. I was talking to my brother about it, but we passed due to condition. It looks WW1 vintage to us. I have some pics of Navy medical officers serving with Marines ca. 1919, I will see if I can find them.

Brian

Ahh, now we know who bought that beat up EGA. I was talking to my brother about it, but we passed due to condition. It looks WW1 vintage to us. I have some pics of Navy medical officers serving with Marines ca. 1919, I will see if I can find them.

Brian

Beat-up? Hey, I think it's SALTY!!!!! What about the brass base construction? Seen another like it? BTW if you have a WWI pic of Lt (MC) Robert Lawler USNRF of the 5th Marines......I'd like to know.
Semper Fi........Bobgee