I found this Civil War button in my yard today!

kfields

I live in an old brick farm house here in Ohio that was built in 1826. It is located just north of Dayton so there was obviously no Civil War activity in this area. The house was built by a war of 1812 veteran and my research shows there was at least one son who grew up in the house that served in the Civil War.

That said, I know buttons of this design were used by the Army from right before the Civil War to after the turn of the century. Can anyone narrow down the probable date this button was used?

The button is a two piece and the base metal appears to be copper. The inscription on the back is hard to read but appears to be: WALSB - - - BUTTON CO.

So can somebody tell me more about my find?

Thanks!

Kim

post-60-0-15474700-1406419406.jpg

post-60-0-46979400-1406419422.jpg

post-60-0-77851600-1406419449.jpg

post-60-0-30290100-1406419466.jpg

jeff arthur

Hello,Kim, Your button is marked "Waterbury Button Co." (Mass.) Probably,most buttons worn in the Civil War were made there,even still today they make uniform buttons and insignias for U.S. military uniforms-Hope this helps you,Best Regards, Jeff

Hello,Kim, Your button is marked "Waterbury Button Co." (Mass.)

Waterbury Button is located in Waterbury, Connecticut, not Massachusetts.

We had yanked a wood fence out of the side yard a couple weeks ago so the ground was disturbed, no grass. I figure that is how I was able to see it on the surface of the ground.

Kim