not even in hand but already excited.. WW2 1st Cav PTO Ike, decorated strangely

BROBS

Bought this from a dealer in CA who bought it directly from the 95 year old veteran.

Apparently the man didn't want to talk about his service, but was willing to sell this jacket.

Not sure what is up with the discs/ribbon bars? Maybe he had it cleaned and then just stuck everything on it? Maybe kids played with it? Regardless all the stuff is original and "rearrange-able".

I am very excited about this find.. as I have a PH/Jacket/etc grouping to a 7th Cav man from my home town. So this will complement it perfectly. The dealer gave the man his number and the man said he would call if he found "the rest of his stuff"... so who knows?

Anyways.. just wanted to share this little gem.

-Brian

post-114538-0-65699800-1406389995.jpg

It Is a cut down four pocket. Actually I like when I see period bars pinned all over it. To me it shows a family member unfamiliar with the military took out the box of pins etc. and just started pinning stuff on. A faker would at least try to make it look right. Most likely straight from the family.

It literally was straight from the vet. I have the man's name..

J_o_h_n Q_u_i_v_e_r_s

from California... still alive at 95.

So born in 1918 or 1919.

-Brian

Jumpin Jack

Flip the bottom ribbon bar. Flip the next one up from bottom. Remove all the rest as they are redundant. Shift the U.S. from one of the pockets to replace on the collar, and remove the other. When you are finished, you will have a very nice named cut-down four pocket with an interesting history. Jack

The 1st Cav patch is most likely Japanese-made. Once you straighten-out all the insignia and ribbon mixing, you'll have a great jacket.

If I were you, I wouldn't wait to contact him about other items.....do it ASAP.

If nothing else, try to get a copy of his discharge and a photo.

You could offer the seller a cut if you get anything else noteworthy....but the man is 95. If you wait too long, the opportunity will be lost.

FWIW......

Really nice looking jacket !!!! It looks like someone just stuck all the extra ribbon bars on there. It would be great if you could get a copy of his discharge and then you could verify his awards, etc. and apply them correctly (as some are out of order, turned around and so forth. CIB should be on top.)

Maybe you could get a picture of him in it! That would be neat. Seems he saw a lot of action.

Congratulations !!

Neat jacket...I missed it by a few minutes and it was a heck of a deal as well!!! Congrats!!

Thanks guys... I was lucky to be on and browsing right as he posted it.

I had to do a double take at the price. ^_^

I will ask the seller if he can get anymore info.. but it sounds like the guy wasn't too keen on talking or sharing much, just selling the jacket.

We'll see!

-Brian