Please post your colored USAAF pictures

usaaf93

Hi everyone

Today, I was watching some colored pictures and I thought about sharing them with you. I thought it would be interesting for everyone to see them. You might like some of them. Don't hesitate to post yours. It is still the best documentation to see how it was back in WW2.

Julien

page_110.jpg

page_210.jpg

page_310.jpg

page_410.jpg

page_510.jpg

page_610.jpg

You group picture is awesome Brewenn. It shoes the diversity of headgear at the time : B1 and B2 caps, summer and winter garrison caps, crusher caps ....

Hope this counts, not a "color" picture exactly but a "colored" picture.

From my largest and favorite group, the photo/dog tag/news clipping display of Sgt. Clarence Paine, Armorer with the 8th AAF P-51 Fighter Station in England and France.

post-104906-0-22915200-1406246179.jpg

I've seen most of those images before in different books. Beautiful shots. Can I ask the story behind your collection?

littlebuddy

3rd photo from the top on the original post , looks like the bombardier is wearing an AN-H-16 !! nice pic !!!

littlebuddy

3rd photo from the top on the original post , looks like the bombardier is wearing an AN-H-16 !! nice pic !!!

Or is it ???? :wacko: now i am confused , as my AN-H-16 doesnt have the sheep skin brow piece

Did the B8 type helmet have such a brow piece ?? or is it a b6 ?? but with ,what looks like to be Harvard type ear cups ??

ill let you all have a think on it !! :o

LB

pararaftanr2

Guys,

Does anyone have an A-14 oxygen mask box lying around? Please take a look at the helmet illustrated on the box, and tell me what you see.

Regards, Paul

littlebuddy

Now ,correct me if im wrong ,but isnt the B8 one of the hardest to find AAF flying helmets :huh:

I have only seen pictures , and not the real thing , well as of yet anyway !!

LB

pararaftanr2

LB,

Of course, you are right, that is the B-8. The photos those drawings are based on, which illustrate the instruction sheet for the A-14 mask, are the only ones I recall seeing of an actual B-8. Have you seen others?

Regards, Paul

littlebuddy

Paul , ive only seen the same ones as you , that has to be the holy grail of flight helmets ? nice to see a photo of one being worn ! ill get my buddy to come and have a look see !!!

LB

Just noticed this thread Great photos , LB that could be a B-8.

There's an actual photo of the B-8 Winter Helmet in the instruction sheet of A-10R Masks. its rare helmet indeed . a "hybrid" between the B-6 and a AN-H-16 .

post-151000-0-83970200-1406581879.jpg

post-151000-0-15883400-1406581915.jpg

pararaftanr2

Nigel,

Well done, I had forgotten about those photos of the B-8. I would love to see a photo of the B-8 in combat use, but suspect it was superseded by the AN-H-16 and may not have made it overseas. Finding such a photo may be like finding a photo of the A-10A mask in combat use. It's in all the reference books and every AAF collector has one, but finding a photo of it in combat use is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Regards, Paul