Help with Identification of Vietnam F-4 Aircrew

Bluespicker

Bluespicker

I have had this HGU-2A/P in my collection for some time and a recent closer examination turned up some interesting details. As usual, more questions than answers. Here's what I think I know: The label on this helmet has been painted over (Can see its outline on rear of helmet). from the placement of communications lead and H-143 earphones, I am about certain the helmet is USAF and an HGU-2A/P although it has an APH-5 chinstrap. On close inspection of the visor housing, the faint outline of an F-4 can be seen (but apparently not photographed). There is an "IX" also faintly outlined on the other side of the visor housing. On the helmet shell under the visor housing is a DYMO tape (embossed raise letters) with the name MAGUIRE on it.

A life support acquaintance told me this helmet was probably Vietnam used. He was in Vietnam in 1966 and said the pilots wanted the helmets toned down (painted green) so they weren't visible from above. This would seem to make sense for F-4s flying air-ground tactical missions.

I have been unable to find a MAGUIRE who would have been attached to an F-4 squadron in Vietnam late 60s maybe early 70s. The IX would probably be 9th but can't find a 9th USAF. This guy could be a pilot or Wizzo.

I would appreciate anyone's help on this. Most of the usual places I check are coming up blank.

post-153154-0-26012100-1406234127.jpg

Charlie Flick

Have you checked the Air Force Registers for that time frame? If he was a USAF officer then he should be listed in there.

Charlie

It's a USAF helmet. Since it has the dual visor, I would think that it has been used rather at the beginning of the 70s than in 1966. APh-5 strap also let me thinking that it has seen action in Vietnam. I don't believe that a crew in USA would have did a such.

Also I do not believe that "IX" is a squadron number. Rather an individual code, I guess.

Sorry to not help more.

Franck

teufelhunde.ret

It's a USAF helmet. Since it has the dual visor, I would think that it has been used rather at the beginning of the 70s than in 1966. APh-5 strap also let me thinking that it has seen action in Vietnam. I don't believe that a crew in USA would have did a such.

Also I do not believe that "IX" is a squadron number. Rather an individual code, I guess.

Sorry to not help more.

Franck

Sorry, USN / USMC used the identical configuration in the period. Best to check w/ folks who were there before making these proclamations.

Bluespicker

In 1972 in response to the N Vietnamese Easter assault, I believe there was a 9th TFS sent to Vietnam and they were flying F-4s. But I tend to agree with earlier comments that the IX doesn't seem like the manner they would display squadron markings.... Up until about 1968, the HGU-2A/P had the label inside the helmet. With the advent of the HGU-22/P I think the label went to the back where it was painted over. so I am guessing this might be 1970-72 and the green paint is sort of a give-away. In the states, these guys would be flying white helmets with reflective tape. I think it was late Vietnam War but just speculation... I am wide open here... tried the Red River Valley Association. Wasn't sure if there's an F-4 group or not.

I dont know if we are on the same page , but if i remember correctly only white helmets were worn by TRS i have a friend who flew with the 11th TRS out of UDORN and his helmet is white with reflective tape and yoachim on the back on the rear of his helmet after vietnam he went to alconbury RAF and flew with the 1st TRS his helmet from that period is camo taped with the sqdn logo and is a duel visor the one he had in vietnam is a single visor his name is William G.yoachim he also flew with the 11th aircommando squadron (ranchand) just my 2 cents

Bluespicker

I think you are correct that the white helmet without much decoration was standard issue. When I look at the F-4 books on the Vietnam Air War, most are flying white helmets. I just remember one of the life support guys I knew telling me about the green paint some aircrew preferred. The paint job isn't real nice and it seems like it was done in a hurry (in the field). I was hoping someone might recognize the IX and the F-4 silhouette so I could narrow it down. From what I can gather, it looks like the F-4 and IX were applied on the helmet and when they pealed them off to paint, the outline remained.

Bluespicker, does the visor housing have the locks on the side of the tracks or does it have "rams horns" going down the back with knobs?

@teufelhunde, find me usn/usmc helmets with an H154 headset assembly and bayonet receivers from the Vietnam time period and post it please

• 1 month later...
northcoastaero

The book Vietnam Air Losses mentions the 9th TFS of the 49th TFW TDY to Takhli RTAFB from Holloman AFB, NM.

The 9th was known as the Flying Knights and was there from May 13 to October 5, 1972, flying the F-4D. Also,

the material on the chin and nape strap pads looks like ones that I had on a 1971 contract AFH-1 helmet made by

Marmac Ind. Inc. Hope this helps.

I appreciate all the help and I still haven't been able to narrow this down. I must confess the IX is something I have found on Canadian helmets but not on US. The dual visor is a rams horn which is the earliest design. There has been confusion on these but basically, Gentex and Sierra made their own versions. One had a one piece visor housing, the other had 3 piece visor housing. These were replaced with the PRU-36/P side actuated dual visor.

Also... my life support contacts assure me that some USAF TAC aircrew wanted the subdued (green) paint jobs and these were a bit crude when applied in the field, in a hurry. Would have been used by TAC in either SEA or NATO...