Ebay wierdness...maybe?

dan_the_hun84

dan_the_hun84

http://www.ebay.com/itm/World-War-2-WWII-Army-Wool-Field-Ike-Jacket-Special-Forces-/171396141487?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e80191af

Didn't know the Army Service Ribbon or merrowed edge "special forces" arc existed in WW2.....Wondering if this is a vet-worn piece that has been added too as time went on? The "base" jacket and insignia looks OK....ribbon bar excepted.

That seems like a likely explanation. The seller states the jacket is their grandfathers. And if it's the same one as used in the book, then they've obviously "enhanced" it.

The before and after pics:

post-5617-0-20305700-1406222869.jpgpost-5617-0-78922100-1406222884.jpg

Looking on Ancestry, it confirms he was a POW, which ties back to the POW ribbon worn on the top ribbon bar. Considering the POW Medal wasn't approved until 1985, it was clearly added well post-war, so it's not to say the vet didn't add other items to the uniform for parades, etc.

As for the Army Service Ribbon, I guess he decided he earned it despite not meeting the regs (it was retroactive, however you had to be on active duty after 1981).

I would think if someone were trying to copy the uniform in the book, they wouldn't have added all of the other stuff...

post-29885-0-53356300-1406223997.jpg

...and it has current issue Canadian jump wings. Having Canadian jump wings wouldn't be out of the ordinary if the man was a FSSF soldier, but they would've likely been the WWII embroidered ones not the metal clutch back ones.

Rick

I bet the seller "decorated" it as he thought it should have been?

definitely odd... and it does look to be the same jacket to me, but humped.

BEAST: why do you say "definitely" different jacket?

-Brian

Looks like a post war ike as well judging by the green satin lining and size tag.

Looks like a WWII production P1944 Jacket to me, with OD green cotton twill lining, as shown in the last photo.

I bet the seller "decorated" it as he thought it should have been?

definitely odd... and it does look to be the same jacket to me, but humped.

BEAST: why do you say "definitely" different jacket?

-Brian

I agree. It looks exactly like the jacket shown in the book, except for the ribbons, the Canadian para wings and the SF tab. Same DUI's, same numbered brass, same shooting badges, etc.

After looking at the eBay listing, I will withdraw my comment. Looking at the jacket shown in the book you can see that is definitely a WWII Ike. However the lining of the enhanced jacket shown in this thread has that 1950s color. After posting this, I went to the original listing and saw that the enhanced jacket is a correct WWII pattern Ike.

Except for some easily reversible family or veteran add ons, this jacket is right as rain IMO and is the one pictured in the book. The SF tab appears to be tacked in place with a few threads. Easily removed, as are the ribbons and jump wings.

I believe that questionable ribbon is a world war 2 commeritive medal which obviously came out much later than world war 2. Also the SF tab I believe did not come out until 1986 or somewhere around that time and also the POW medal as mentioned earlier also didn't come out until the 80's. So there are many recent additions to this jacket that aren't correct for the period. Also with the SF tab it has never and still currently not worn on the right shoulder it is only worn on the left.

If the vet filed a request for retroactive award of the SF Tab with JFKSWC he most likely would have been awarded it, but as stated above it is not worn on the right shoulder.

I don't recall if it could be requested by a family member of a deceased vet.