69 Year Old In "Jump School" Fatality in Oklahoma

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

The New York Times is reporting that a participant in a program run by the "WWII Airborne Demonstration Team" was killed when his parachute failed to properly open. See the story:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2014/07/24/us/ap-us-skydiver-killed.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=WireFeed&module=pocket-region&region=pocket-region&WT.nav=pocket-region

I don't know anything about this organization but it apparently runs a "jump school" for novice jumpers. This quote is from its website:

The World War II Airborne Demonstration Team currently operates a Jump School twice a year at Frederick Army Airfield, OK, in January and July, where novice students or experienced jumpers can familiarize themselves with military style round canopy static line jumping. This Jump School runs for ten days, part of which is made up of an intensive training program followed by a series of tests that will ensure the students have been able to grasp the techniques and procedures that will enable them to make a successful static line jump. Once the tests have been passed, each student is then able to make WWII style jumps from the team’s C-47 aircraft.

The Team's site is located at: http://www.wwiiadt.org/

Regards,

Charlie

I've known people who've jumped there and I'm sure a few members here have.

They're had injuries before, some of the pretty bad from what I've heard second-hand, but I think this is the first fatality. I would imagine they had very good insurance (at least I hope so) but even if they did, I can't help but wonder if this might signal an end to this...

Just read some more, this might have been just a heart attack. I also found two articles elsehwere about the guy who died jumping with them, written long before this incident. Sounded like a regular there.

El Bibliotecario

Being fairly close to the age of the decedent, I would say this fellow could have been making better use of his leisure time. On the other hand, going that way cetainly beats rotting away in a nursing home.

Two things:

a. He was a big boy who made his own decisions. 69 doesn't mean mentally incompetent.

b. He was a qualified jumper and since he had made 10 jumps with this team before then what's the beef? Whether death was by cardiac arrest or terminal deceleration, he knew the risks and made his own decision.

Damn press ... give him the dignity and honor his death deserves. If I had a choice of my check out technique ... this would be at the top of the list.

God bless you Mr. Yost "AIRBORNE!"

Jim was a good friend for many years.

I am going to be one of his pall bearers.

He was doing what he loved in life.

Mike,

My sincerest condolences on the loss of your friend. He sounds like he was a great guy.

If you have a wake turn it into a "prop blast" in his honor.

Give him a salute from this old masterblaster.

Old troopers never really die ... they just take commands from the Great Jumpmaster!

Just read the desparaging comment.

Jim was an officer in 10th Special Forces before his tour in Vietnam with the 82nd.

I believe he served 8 years.

He was a marathon and long distance runner for many years.

He was fanatical about the 82nd airborne and its history.

He made several trips to events in Europe and had a restored jeep he used there.

Jim was actively engaged in one of his many passions and hardly a Peter Pan.

He had a good income and raised a great family.

He could afford his pursuits and enjoyed them to the fullest.

I don't believe he had any known health issues. He was a very fit and active 69 year old.

He was not really a re enactor, just a serious enthusiast regarding a subject that fascinated him.

As far as the comment about the DZ having good insurance, I would be shocked if they didn't have him sign a release of all liability.

RIP- he died doing what he loved

As far as the comment about the DZ having good insurance, I would be shocked if they didn't have him sign a release of all liability.

If it was a chute issue that killed him, it wouldn't matter to most underwriters. Waivers aren't ironclad in many cases...