USAAF / USN Flight Suits

Ricardo

There is not much information available about flight suits. You might try to get the following books:

Sweeting, C.G., Combat Flying Clothing, Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington D.C. 1984. ISBN: 0-87474-898-4

Maguire, Jon. A., Gear Up!, Schiffer Publishing, Ltd., Atglen, PA 1995. ISBN: 0-88740-744-7

All four flight suits you have pictured are WWII manufactured. The K-1 is a late war model summer suit replacing the AN-S-31 (AN-6550) both of these are the same suit specification number is AN-S-31 and the drawing number being AN-6550. Joint Army Navy equipment have a tendency to mark things this way. Why, I do not know. The A-4 suit is a pre war adopted flight suit. The order numbers on all suits tell the tale. The A-4 suit was contracted in the fiscal year 1942 the AN-S-31 in 1943, AN-6550 in 1944 and the K-1 in 1945.

All overalls are to AAF displays in Museum.

I have one new project to Brazilian Army Museum. The Brazilian Army Forces in WW2 haved Piper Cub pilots on reconnaissance missions on Italy front. I have one nice set, a flight parka Type B9 and trousers, B2 cap and a pair of matching gloves.

• 1 year later...
The Brazilian Army Forces in WW2 haved Piper Cub pilots

Hello Ricardo,

Were those pilots trained in Brazil or in Italy? I am asking because it is possible that your Army pilots of the Cubs met our Army pilots of those planes. The Polish pilots were trained in the Cubs by the US 5th Army near Venarto.

Best regards

Greg