Paraglider wing

philliephanatic

philliephanatic

I recently acquired what I thought was a standard Glider Wing. When I got to looking at it, I noticed that there is a parachute behind the Glider. This one is marked Sterling on the back and has the NS Meyer logo. I have a couple of questions about this. Is it a real item issued to WWII troops, or is it a later issue badge. Also, is it a hard to find variation and if it is harder to find than a standard glider badge? Can anyone out there help me with some information about this? Thank you for your help.

post-4806-0-56697900-1406162838.jpg

post-4806-0-42445300-1406162847.jpg

As I understand it these paraglider badges came about during the post war occupation of Japan within the 11th Airborne Division. They had a number of strictly Gliderborne Battalions that they converted over to Airborne Battalions by getting their gliderborne troopers through locally run airborne courses. So now you had a bunch of troopers who were both glider and airborne qualified which is how this badge came about. These paraglider wings were unauthorized but probably tolerated in Japan. These paraglider wings have been heavily reproduced and although I'm not 100% sure I believe your wing is a very good cast copy. I say this because I was fooled and have one in my collection (see photo) which looked like an original piece based solely on a photograph I was looking at before I purchased it. When I received it and had it in my hands for a closer look I noticed the overflow of metal within the top corner of one side of the risers as well as what looks like wear on the lower front edge of the parachute. The rear also has a fine pebbly surface that you don't really see in the photograph. What is puzzling is what looks and feels like excess flashing material on the back punched spaces which is left by a die stamping the metal. So why is this flashing material on a cast piece? As I understand it the centrifugal loss wax method of casting will force metal into the tiniest of places where even the striations left along the edge of a piece will be visible. These striations are caused when the die cuts the edge of a piece of metal and usually can only be seen with the help of a jewelers loupe. So if the original piece you are casting has this left over flashing it will be reproduced on the copy. The only difference is the size as the copy will always be slightly smaller due to shrinkage.

post-1389-0-23730300-1406233698.jpg

post-1389-0-10966300-1406233710.jpg

There's a website out there on the net which covers these paraglider wings and their variants in some detail. I didn't bookmark it (should have!) so I can't recall its URL. However, if you do a google search, with a little patience you should locate it.

From the hardware (thin 180deg opening pin), stamped markings and "frosty" finish on the reverse (at least on the first example), it looks like a Meyer restrike to me.

Regards

Mike

philliephanatic

This is all good information. I guess the only other question I have about it is that I would like to know if it is really sterling silver or was a different metal used in the restrike?