Heat resistant asbestos gloves?

2ndInf.Div.

2ndInf.Div.

Hello everyone. I recently bought some heat resistant gloves that are 80's-modern era. I've been told these are made with Kevlar, and others who say these were made with asbestos. They are the yellow gloves with a tag and DSA, not the white style WWII gloves. Was wondering if anyone knows for sure whether or not these were made with asbestos. I've had people tell me that even if they are, there's nothing to worry about. But the last thing I want is for a pair of asbestos gloves to be sitting around with my collection.

That does help. So asbestos substitute....as in not asbestos? Sorry, just making sure haha.

Aramid poses little to no risk to your health.

Rakkasan187

That is the asbestos mitt, although made with aramid. It was standard issue to M60 machine gunners. It was used to change out the barrels of the M60. I still have my asbestos mitt with my M60 spare barrel bag. I was issued the mitt in the early 1980's.

Leigh

2ndInf.Div.

It's not asbestos if it's made with aramid though. I know the WWII gloves were for sure made with asbestos, but I thought in the 1980's they changed what they were made out of and added the tag/DSA to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, aramid is not asbestos. A single asbestos fiber can possibly cause mesothelioma, a death sentence.