Question on discharge papers

Bocage

Hi all, I am doing some research on a 94th vet from the 302nd Inf. His discharge papers say he was discharged from Welch Convalescent Hospital Daytona Florida on 19 Sep 45. Reason and authority for separation is: "Certificate of Disability for Discharge Section I AR 615-361 4 Nov 44 and 1st indorsement Welch Convalescent Hospital Daytona Fla 17 Sep 45" I do not know if it is "1st" of "lst" because in the typewriter types the number '1' exactly like the letter 'l'. So could be 'l(a)st' also? Does anyone know which one it is?

Anyway: I am trying to find a copy of the text of Section I AR 615-361 but cannot find it in the internet. Is there anyone who can help? Seems that this man was wounded on Feb 2, 1945 and after that spent his time in hospital. I know the 302nd and his particular company saw some serious action on and around that date.

What I could find on the internet is that his discharge is not because the government didn't need him anymore, but because he wasn't capable of fulfilling his duty, because of mental or physical reasons (or both?!).

But okay: I am curious as to the text of the AR. Or perhaps some of you have the same line in box 40 of the WD AGO Form 53-55 and did some research on it.

All the best to you all!

Bocage

It's first endorsement, which is basically the "proof" they need for his discharge to be allowed. You're right...he most likely was severely wounded and unable to return to duty...which could be because of physical or mental issues (or both).

Mark sends

Hi Mark, thanks for your reply. I'll see if I can find the Section I AR somewhere, but this is good enough for now. Cheers!