A USMC/Navy "Solant Amity" patch

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Hey all,
I was browsing eBay when I came across this patch.I had never seen one before,and liking unusual pieces,added it to my collection.I did some research and surprisingly,found a large,well detailed website about this little known subject.
Apparently,around 1960 the Military decided to create this OP involving the Navy and Marines and named it Solant Amity.
The Marines were asked to volunteer for a six month "goodwill" cruise to South America and Africa,and were provided training in various areas,such as rubber raft landing and also some introductory "jump" training.(Minus the 'chutes!) :lol:
Amphibious landings were practiced in places like Puerto Rico,Liberia,and South Africa. The Marines were also given training in shipboard anti-"pirating" techniques.There was also an intervention in the Congo that was done under the UN flag.

So this venture was kind of an odd combination of training,landing exercises,humanitarian assistance,and"show the flag",with a little military intervention via the UN thrown in.More Solant Amity exercises followed after the initial one.

I found this subject fascinating and spent some time going through the website,which is very well done and loaded with stories and photos.I highly recommend a look.

Here is a link to the site:

http://solantamity.com/

post-13386-0-56742900-1406039017.jpg

• 2 years later...

I have the twin to that patch as well as a plaque with the same insignia on it. My father was aboard the USS Hermitage (LSD-34) during Solant Amity I.

Patchcollector

Hi locobuster,does your Dad have any stories about the OP?I would be interested to read it if he did.Also like to see your patch and plaque if possible.I think that the patches are tough to find as mine is the only one I've seen so far.

My father has been gone for 16 years but I do remember him telling me about encountering people in the Congo with extended tailbones. Give me a few days, I have to dig the plaque out of storage. I also have a poster he sent home from the cruise.

The patch:

post-3287-0-08512500-1474317107.jpg

The centerpiece of the poster:

post-3287-0-82695400-1474317154_thumb.png

A souvenir he brought back:

post-3287-0-79490900-1474317178.jpg

His dufflebag, showing where he went on the cruise:

post-3287-0-81680000-1474317195_thumb.jpg

Patchcollector

My father has been gone for 16 years but I do remember him telling me about encountering people in the Congo with extended tailbones. Give me a few days, I have to dig the plaque out of storage. I also have a poster he sent home from the cruise.

Thanks for posting.That duffel bag with the names of all the places and the poster are both very cool.I was just on the website reading through some of the remembrances of the Marines involved in Solant Amity.It was,according to most,an eye opening tour of some places that were great,and some not so great,but most of the Marines seem happy to have volunteered for that duty,as they got to go to places that many would never be able to visit.

Reading through the website it seems the OP was a combination of "Show the Flag",training,and crisis intervention.Africa during that time was going through a transformation;many of the countries,which were colonies of European powers,were becoming "restless",and the atmosphere was rife with rebellion.

The Marines presence provided a bit of stability and was also a demonstration of our resolve to be involved in that part of the world.

Here is a link to the biographic area of the website,it's interesting to read about each Marines memories and what they ended up doing with their lives:

http://solantamity.com/Personnel/Biographies_3rdA-F.htm#DeBo