Reenactments at "War & Peace Revival, 2014"

Sabrejet

Interesting stuff. Although it looks like people are scrambling to see who can find obscure impressions or effects to stand out. A friend of mine that has been going to this for many years says he thinks it is starting to actually slide downhill a bit, as he did not see too many new groups or new things. Although, I have to say that it's not like the old days when you never saw a woman anywhere near such a group.

I too have been attending for years. Groups come and groups go, but overall, the number of participants seems to increase year on year. The list of vehicles literally reads like a telephone directory! It's expanded its coverage since moving to this new site last year. There are now more attractions than ever. It remains the foremost show of its kind...anywhere!

Wow that is exceptional in my opinion, a few that stood out to me was the 100th anniversary of the start of WWI tribute trench, the oat front set up with the snow let me add the snow was very realistic (coming from a New Englander we have more than our share of snow) and the "29er's"

-Dave

Undoubtedly, the ready availability of reproduction uniforms and kit has had a big and beneficial effect on the ability of groups to do good "living history" displays. I'm old enough to remember the time when, if you wanted to portray a "GI" or a "Tommy" or whatever, the only option was to wear original uniforms. These had to be found...and of course they had to fit! Also, being some 50 years old (at the time) there was always the risk of bursting a seam, blowing out a knee or, splitting a sole (I've seen this happen on more than one occasion! ) Nowadays, virtually everything can be purchased in whatever size you want and, it has to be said, the quality of the items available has improved incrementally. For example, I've got a set of HBTs which compare quite favourably with my WW2 originals! So, that's why there are armies of paratroopers and Waffen SS out there today...everything is available "off the peg". That's progress...apparently! ;)

Just look at the mix of uniforms and camo shelter sections etc., in this small group alone. Apart from Oddball's A-11 helmet, pretty much all repro.

post-8022-0-08455900-1406047642.jpg

Ok...onto VN. The interior of the hooches had to be seen to be believed...crammed full of everything you'd expect to find in one and pretty much all original period items from the Coca-Cola bottles to the Playboy magazines.

Firstly...guard duty.

post-8022-0-91150300-1406050462.jpg

Hi Ken...thanks! Yes...he's been a regular around the British shows for years. Remember this "entourage" in Ste Mere Eglise on June 4th?!

Hi

After visiting the Patton museum at Fort Knox this year and seeing the original helmet shell, guns and uniforms i just can't take him seriously any more...lol

Great report Ian, i am sad to admit that i only made it past the grandstand once during the whole show... So it is good to see what was there.

Regards

Tom