Can anyone recommend some good places to research the USS Bullard's (DD-660) role in fire control for the USS Franklin (CV-13) on 19 March 1945.

DoubleEnvelopment

DoubleEnvelopment

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I recently won a nice grouping from a sailor, Dominic Messina, on the WWII fletcher class destroyer USS Bullard (DD-660). I knew it participated in many notable campaigns and invasions of PTO but I was surprised to learn it's captain, Bernard William Freund(citation available on the militarytimes.com hall of valor), was awarded a Bronze Star medal for his relief efforts to help save the USS Franklin(CV-13). I have always thought the large Kamikaze strikes inflicted on the Franklin, Bunker Hill, Princeton etc. were absolutely terrifying.

I have checked navsource, Danfs and many of the excellent historical naval sites but I wasn't able to find out much about the Bullard's role. I was hoping someone could be kind enough to recommend some websites or books that specifically mention its role on the aftermath of that tragic event.

Thanks everyone.

-Matt

DoubleEnvelopment

Thank you kindly sgtpete, that is some priceless information. On that note I am going to have to sign up for fold3.com, it seems like an invaluable tool.

The grouping will be arriving tomorrow, it contains the sailor's handwritten journal of events '43-'45 as well as the Official WWII USS Bullard (DD-660) cruise book. I am curious what if any other perspective they might provide.

You are welcomed. I love reading all the war diaries and war histories of WW2 ships. Lots of great information there. You will enjoy your Fold 3 membership.