Info wanted on T. Olivers HGU-26/P Dual Visor Flight Helmet w/camo Tape

itservedmewell

itservedmewell

My buddy wanted me to research a Vietnam flight helmet he got from his neighbor awhile back. All I have had to go by was the name he gave me (Thomas Oliver) and that Tom last lived in Dewey AZ. I found an almost exact helmet on FlightHelmet.com which gave me the type of helmet and a date of 1962. The name on red dymo tape on the oxygen mask of the lmet from FlightHelmet website is Finch/29. Toms helmet also says 29 on it but in blue dymo tape and in large black numbers on the top of the helmet. On the other side of the mask it says October 18. Does anyone know if 29 is a unit numbeher or anything about the other markings on the helmet.

So far, I ha

ve found this to be a Vietnam HGU-26/P Dual Visor Flight Helmet that has been camo taped.

As far as Thomas Oliver....all I could find on him was his Obituary which leads me to believe he was a very educated and interesting man. He was born on Feb. 22nd, 1939 (which happens to be President George Washington's birthday) in Tucson AZ. He died on Sept. 28th, 2011 at the Prescott AZ VA Hospital. He graduated from Camelback High in Phoenix AZ and went on to serve in the USAF working as a navigator and attaining the rank of Major. While in the Air Force he served 4 tours in Vietnam. Thomas attended the University of Nebraska and got his bachelors degree in general studies......and didn't stop at that. He got Master's Degrees in Geology, Geography and Computer Science. He embarked on a career as a professional geologist. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Bronze Star Medal, and the Air Medal. While researching this helmet, I have acquired an addiction to wanting to find out more about flight helmets and the men who wore them. If anyone has anymore information to add on this subject or on the helmet markings and the man who wore it Major Thomas James Oliver, it would be greatly appreciated.

post-153680-0-45719100-1405918947.jpg

post-153680-0-77341100-1405918970.jpg

post-153680-0-48138500-1405918997.jpg

post-153680-0-11914300-1405919248.jpg

post-153680-0-97386400-1405919267.jpg

post-153680-0-17440100-1405919291.jpg

post-153680-0-63797100-1405919308.jpg

BlueBookGuy

hello,

too much small the pics of Tom's helmet so I'm not able in seeing its edge roll. Is it the helmet in first photo at right-side? I so ask 'cause that thick, black edgeroll (and the "customized" padding inside) are typical of post-Vietnam helmets - at least, late '70s.

Never seen or heard of genuine Vietnam helmets fitted with those unmistakable accessories, at least I'd swear the 'Nam period (even late Vietnam) never saw helmets conformed this way.

Possibly the camo HGU-26/P is to be meant a specimen worn by Tom Oliver at some point in his flight career, wich had earlier also seen the tours in Vietnam.

greeting from Italy - Franco.

I agree with Franco. This helmet appears in a configuration more commonly seen in the 70s/80s.

The 35th Tactical Fighter Squadron used "Finch" as the squadron call sign during the VN-war. Possibly he was a WSO (Fightergator) associated with this unit?

itservedmewell

I don't know how to edit but I think I need to take the first picture of the example helmet out....if you look at just the other six pictures and not the first one on your left please. Do you think maybe doing 4 tours in Vietnam..he might have went on to change out the inside of the helmet due to wear? Or is the outside with the camo tape also more 70s and 80s. If not, what parts do you think are from earlier. I was seeing some comment about the bayonet holders being changing to a T shape. As far as the number 29 goes? or the date Oct 18 do you know what those could mean? Thank you for your input...HS

BlueBookGuy

hello H. S.

matter is rather another one, in my opinion.. a HGU-26/P looking this way (fitted with assembly called the PRU-36/P for visors and cover) should be not correct for Vietnam period.

Personally I didn't see any of these models in the hundreds pics I came across of helmets/aviators/ equipments etc, along so many years. Even considering the very last active ops the USAF did in the SEA theater - late summer 1973- your helmet didn't see the Vietnam, I'm pretty sure about this. Waiting anyway for someone else on Forum for a more clearing of the argument.

Not to mention the "offset" receivers for bayonets, absolutely post - Vietnam (at least, late '70s).

Camo tape in itself was already existing in very late '60s and saw use in Vietnam. Photos do exist in so comproving - even if, not sure about pattern on your helmet as the correct one. It looks much more like from late '70s - early '80s.

But for the rest, I'd swear that HGU-26/P couldn't have been in service there and in that period.

Franco.

I'll second Franco. Most of the details of this helmet are post Vietnam. It was not unusual for a pilot to receive an upgraded helmet as his career progressed.

"OCT 18" is almost assuredly the due-date for the next inspection of the helmet and/or mask.

"29" be anything. Most likely would be his callsign within the squadron (Finch 29) or possibly his locker number for his flight gear.

For the helmet, the black edge roll looks like the one-piece, glue-on/ snap on type produced by Scott -- I have one of these on my old helmet (early 1980s).

Tough to tell if the interior is a poured/fitted liner or one of the two-piece percentile liner

I don't know what the promotion rates were like in the late 60s/70s but by the early 1980s, most guys were retiring as Majors or LTCs so I suspect your helmet owner likely stayed in for a while -- possibly into the 1980s. Using typical ages from my time (early 80s), most guys entered flight training immediately college so we can presume age 22 or 23. Your guys was born in 1939 so that puts him into flight training around 1961/62. A 20-year career would see him retiring no earlier than 1981/82. Major was a fairly common retirement rank in the 70s/80s (unlike today where LTC/COL seem to be the norm).

Hello .. Im a knowledge helmet collector , ( I have several of this type with different vintage details in my collection ) and live in the Phoenix, AZ area ... If you'd like to meet and let me see the helmet up close , Im sure I can better date and tell you a bit more about it's history ... [email protected] ... Mike

I need to correct one of my earlier statements. Upon review, the callsign "Finch" was a mission callsign, not a squadron callsign at least insofar as the 35th TFS is concerned. Therefore, highly likely there is no relationship between Maj Oliver and the 35th TFS.