WWII Mosquito Net. Help

USdog

Hey,

Has anyone seen one of these? Was recently found in a wwii vets estate. Is it for a helmet of for your head?

It is greener in hand BTW.

Thanks

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a mosquito net like you said, they produced these in frog skin camo wich I think is the most common, Tan and OD.

-Dave

Thanks for the help. Are these ones rarer than the camo because all I see is the camo ones.

Not really, the OD #3 ones are the "Rarer" ones.

Screamingeagles101

Thanks for the help. Are these ones rarer than the camo because all I see is the camo ones.

Not sure how rare they are exactly, but I see them on ebay a lot. They are much cheaper than the regular camo cover. The regular marine covers are much more desirable to collectors. So to answer your question they are not rare and not too sort after.

What you actually have is a USAAF mosquito head net. It was developed in 1942 for use in parachute emergency kits. AAF part No.43G3868. It is designed to fit over the head and not the helmet intended as a survival tool. They are sought after as they are standard components to many emergency kits especially individuals with the very common C-1 vest however they do have a low value under $20.These we are also available through the standard supply system of the USAAF and could be issued upon requests and is probably why it has a laundry number most likely you would find this guy to be an AAF vet.

Illustrated is the net in question being worn. The cloth top is about the circumference of the average adult head also note how close the mesh is to the face, this was a typical complaint as it afforded little protection when the netting is up against the skin.
post-56-0-18311300-1405960310.jpg